Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Carlos Hathcock .30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Carlos Hathcock .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
The 173 gr. BT bullet out of the '06 made 2640 fps; NOT 2550 fps! I've fired thousands of those rounds while shooting on the Service Rifle Team with the USAAMU!!
Rick, check some on-line Mil Spec sheets for M72 and M118 match ammo then you'll see those velocities are measured at 78 feet. They're 50 to 60 fps faster at the muzzle.

An ex USMC rifle team member told me at a match in the late '90's that Hathcock's rifle shot M72 about 2580 fps and shot about 18 inches at 1000 yards. It's barrel was well worn. The unit at Quantico checked it out after Gunny Carlos retired. Carlos told me at the 1971 Interservice Matches (after he won the 1000 yard match with his magnum) that barrel was "well used."
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Rick, check some on-line Mil Spec sheets for M72 and M118 match ammo then you'll see those velocities are measured at 78 feet. They're 50 to 60 fps faster at the muzzle.

An ex USMC rifle team member told me at a match in the late '90's that Hathcock's rifle shot M72 about 2580 fps and shot about 18 inches at 1000 yards. It's barrel was well worn. The unit at Quantico checked it out after Gunny Carlos retired. Carlos told me at the 1971 Interservice Matches (after he won the 1000 yard match with his magnum) that barrel was "well used."
Mr. Hathcock, I'm very certain knew what B/C's and things like that were in 1967 and 1968. But few others did. We all knew the bullet dropped a certain amount, and learned to adjust for that. I find him very facinating, and often wonder just how good he could be with today's bullets and equipment.

The rifle he was carrying when the AMTRAC ran over the mine on the road from Baldy to Ross dissappeared, and nobody knows what happened to it. Somebody in the Marine group recovered it, and kept it I'm sure. I have a photo of me standing at the fork in the road where that happened, but never knew who Hathcock was at the time. The road was not a good road to travel, and ws always mined. But there were worse roads to travel in that era of time. The Tam Key road was much worse, and even armored CAV units didn't like going down it so most guys off loaded an walked. Had Hathcock got out and walked he'd probably never been hurt.
gary
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Set your CAD up to see what receiver bends the most in the vertical axis as it gets flexed by barrel whip while the bullet's in the bore as the barreled action has its fulcrum at the back of the recoil lug.
With all the superiority of the m70 that you have stated, why do they (government) continue to use the rem700 action as the primary bolt rifle today??
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
With all the superiority of the m70 that you have stated, why do they (government) continue to use the rem700 action as the primary bolt rifle today??
I don't know. You'll have to ask them.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Government contracts = lowest bidder. Simple fact of life in Government procurement.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know. You'll have to ask them.
1. lobbyist
2. political influence
3. locale of manufacture
4. the GOA (taking into all of above)
5. overall cost over performance would rank number one with the GAO

There were at least two rifles that came in cheaper than the Remington (probably more), but the Remington was lighter in weight. (important). A couple years back it looked like the Army was going with the Stiller action, but now looks to be out of the picture (so much for performance).

I do know that the Marines are looking for a new round to base a sniper's rifles off of. Last I heard it will probably be a 6.5 or 7mm round. Case will be fairly new, and maybe a completely new design. The idea is to take four pounds out of the rifle scoped and ready to fire. There has been a constant gripe that all the rifles out there are too heavy to be carrying all over hell's half acre. I have the distinct feeling that the action will not be Remington if they have their own way about it.
gary