Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Carbon wraped barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Carbon wraped barrels

Guys,
what is your opinion of the abs carbon wraps for barrels. Can I send in my barrel so they can wrap it? Is it worth it? How much does it cost? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you so much

Darrin
Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Carbon wraped barrels

I like mine, Yes it is worth it by the right people. I had christensenarms do mine. I have a 30-378 and right out of the box it shot 1/2 moa with factory ammo. gun weighs just under 10lbs. with scope sling stock ammo carrier and 2 accubonds 180 gr
Old 08-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Don't have ABS do it ... I had a horrendous experience with ABS and you can read that many others have had too.

There are several gunsmiths who are approved to use the ABS carbon wrapping process... I recommend that you should definitely use one of them instead.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does the proscess entail? Do they grind off a bunch of steel for wt. then wrap it with carbon for strength? Whats the bennifit of carbon wraps? Whats the proscess?
Ive seen ''carbon bbl's'' small steel tube with big carbon shell, but what would they do to an existing bbl?
What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance for educating me

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

@ Winmag, Check out Christensenarms.com . This is where I had mine done. They turn down the barrel and then carbon wrapp it. from what I understand there diffrent way to do this. They claim they hold a number of diffrent pattens in the technqu. they use. Carbon is 5 time stronger than steel and disappets heat 10 time faster the steel. I had bought a used accumark 30-378 and what I did was sent it to them. I had them put on a new 26'' shilen match grade barrel, titauim muzzle brake, timney trigger at 2.5lbs, teflon and accurized the action square up the bolt face, free float the barrel. all the that work cost about 1,600. The gun was 1,300. Now having shot the gun before with 3-4 shots with the old barrel you could fri an egg on it. Now it barrly feel warm and not to mention when I got it back i bought some FACTORY ammo 180 BT shot almost hole in hole my first three. The gun shoots 1/2 no problem. My gun has a S&B mil. LP 3x12x50 scope that wieghs 32oz and with sling, 2 180gr. accbonds the gun reads just under 10lbs. I am really happy with the work they did. They have a great website alot of info and the have a lot of videos to see thier rifle in action. I found it alot cheaper to have to work done on my used rifle considering what I would of spent in upgrade with action+ then to buy one of thier custom to get the same rifle. The only diffrecnce to me was the accuracy garuntee. You only get that if you buy a new custom. Dont belive anything you hear about muzzle jump. I had a bunch of local dealers tell me I get a lot of muzzle jump and recoil with a 30-378 carbon wrapped. The gun is about like a 20 gauge withlow brass. I hope I helped you out
Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrindlh View Post
Guys,
what is your opinion of the abs carbon wraps for barrels. Can I send in my barrel so they can wrap it? Is it worth it? How much does it cost? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you so much

Darrin
I am like Winmag on this one. "WHY"

I have looked into this process and see absolutely no benefit as far as accuracy.

Turning a barrel down and wrapping it with carbon fiber can only reduce the weight with a
large contour and by going to a smaller contour you can do the same thing without risking
the precision of a barrel.

The most accurate barrel is a perfictly true contour or strait cylinder that is dimensionally
identical in thickness at any point from the bore. Any thing that you do to the outside of
a barrel risk changing these dimensions and the uniform stiffness of a homogeneous barrel
material.

At one time fluting a barrel effected accuracy greatly because of poor machining practice,
but now it is not as much of a risk because of the better equiptment and quality control.
But I still have to reject a few barrels that have been fluted poorly and have excessive
run out center to center.

Some of these barrels have a reputation for shooting well. But the risk of getting a stinker
are greater if anything is done to the barrel so the risk are just not worth the cost and
looks just to have something different.

In my opinion when it comes to accuracy of a barrel "Less is more".

If you notice . Most of the barrels with this treatment are small bores where recoil velocities
are mild and barrel harmonics are minimal. This makes uniformity's less important than in
hard kicking rifles. On the larger bore rifles heat is a problem because it acts like an insulator
and feels cool on the outside but can be over heated on the inside to the point of ruining a
good barrel from overheating the bore.

This is just my opinion and by no means should it prevent you from buying one if you
want one . It is just my opinion and belief If I were ask to build a rifle with 1/4 MOA
capabilities I would not use a wrapped barrel or one that had a "Special" treatment just
for looks.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 08-27-2010 at 09:08 AM.