Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrels

I have a 338 Laupa with an ABS carbon wrapped barrel that Shawn built for me and I am happy with it.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 PM
SPONSOR

I have an ABS wrapped Rock liner that George with Precision Shooting built me.

you have seen my hunting posts and Antelope video with Tyler.

It is a shooter for sure.

I use it as a hunting rifle, not a paper puncher.

10.5 lbs scoped with NF NXS is great !

PM with any questions....
Old 12-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I have a saying. I will try anything once.

Recently I tried an ABS barrel. I am still forming an opinion about it. I will say that so far it has shown alot of promise. My rifle was 16# and it is now between 12-13# with the same contour and similar length. I shot my best 300 yard group with it today. Using 200 ACCUBONDS shot a 1.187" 3 shot group. It has shot several sub .5 MOA groups at 300 yards. and a butt load just over .5 MOA in the .60 to .65 range. It seems as if heat moves to the surface fairly quickly. I dont think these trap heat as bad as the Christinsen barrels do. Christensen barrels are made to be light and nothing else. They are more of a novelty if you ask me. A neat concept more or less. Plus Shillen barrels (IMHO) suck. At least the ones available to you and me.

ABS barrels may be a better product than the competition but trying to get one inside 1-2 years is difficult at best and cost a small fortune. I am not sure they are the answer either. I know Mike D. told me he thought an ABS barrel in 300 RUM should last about 3000 rounds. I know a guy with 1000 rounds and is definatly showing signs of wearing out.

I think we will be seeing some cool new barrel designs within the next 10 years.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Carbon Fiber is a fantastic insulator the previous carbon wrap barrels didn't fair all that well. I've heard nothing but great things about ABS barrels expect their lead times. My question is how did they change the physics of carbon wrapping process? How do they dissipate the heat from the barrel and not insulate it or keep it in.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

OK i am having nate form ssg build me a carbon fiber gun. i was giong to use a remington action in 300 rum. a 26in abs barrel and a lone wolf stock. after talking to all of these guys we have added the weight and it come to 5lb15oz with the muzzle break.

i want to know if you guys have heard that ABS has bad barrels. i need to know we are ordering my barrel this week. as you all know lead time is slow.....
Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Jeff,
Only one person knows for sure how the ABS system works, that is the owner of the company
Mike Degerness. It is a patented system and way different than Christensen arms.
I suspect it has a lot to do with the type of epoxy he uses for the bonding agent, you know there are many types out there, some are heat conducting. Its just a guess on my part. I toured his shop several years ago and didnt ask him any of the particulars of his process. I have installed many of his barrels and ALL of them are tac drivers. They do as advertised.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Dave maybe you could answer wioth some sort of accuracy about how long the lead times are for a barrel seeing that you use alot of them? I have given them alot of thought , both ordering one outright and sending him a Bartlein blank turned to his specs.