Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Canyon rifle vs. self built

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Re: Canyon rifle vs. self built

Two things to keep in mind... I don't think you can get the Edge+P unless you buy a complete rifle from Defensive Edge and, if it doesn't shoot well or there are functional problems, who is going to cover the warranty?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

Good point. The regular edge is fine with me. If I decide to buy the canyon rifle I'd buy the +p. the warranty question is one I'd have to ask the smith about. These are all the pros and cons I'm weighing before deciding which way to go.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotelite View Post
A stiller tac 338 action is $1100 without trigger. That was my first upgrade option to this build.
The Tac 338 is a Lapua bolt face action, you'll want the Tac 300 for an Edge build which can be had for $950 ish.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

I have seen many times a superb rifle in classifieds here going for abvious less than to build. Many high quality with great group and low end count.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Sponsor

I of all people understand wanting to do stuff yourself and not to pay more then you need to for something. You have left a few items out:

Stock Painting
M16 extractor
2nd ejector
ejection port flaring
trigger work
HD firing pin spring
2 flush cups in stock
HD bipod mount

Last but not least I though a lot about this comment before putting it out. I do not want to come off sounding condescending etc, but I truly believe that no matter who puts your stuff together (no matter how good they are) it just won't be like one of ours. While there are a number of great builders out there (several on this site) you can pick one of our rifles out of the crowd. This is mostly a fit and finish issue, a lot of guys build really good shooting rifles and the fit and finish is good, if you look at a DE rifle and most of the others you will see the detail differences. If you don't you will be paying just as much for it from them.

I would recommend that no matter who you get it from, get it all don't at one place. Good luck with your project.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input Sean. Right now it's a toss up but the added info from guys here on stuff I'll need is pushing me toward the canyon rifle. Seems like $ well spent!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

The old phrase "Often imitated never duplicated" comes to mind.

Jeff