Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Canyon rifle vs. self built

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Canyon rifle vs. self built

If I had the $ I'd buy a canyon rifle today but being a thrifty (cheap) kind of guy I have questions.

I looked at the parts used to build the canyon rifle then priced them seperate. I then went to southern precisions website and priced the gunsmith work. I add all this up and it comes to right about $2500. Now that's with a rem 700 action not an aftermarket with a $1200 price tag but the price does include having the action trued and a DE style recoil lug installed.

Add in a few other items like a rail, cheek piece and stock modifications and lets say an even $3000.

Is there a reason to spend the extra $1120 for the canyon rifle? Might mean a extra year of saving but if the differance is that big it may be worth it.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Canyon rifle vs. self built

I've no way to judge your skills at assembling all the parts. I'm kind of a menace with tools myself.

I've also got no way to know the quality of the machines you have access to.

There is something to be said for repetition, even with comparable skills, and equipment.

There are quite a few Canyon Rifles out there, and I've not heard of one yet that didn't perform.

There is something to be said for pride of accomplishment, when you do something yourself, but my 2 cents is you'll actually be up and running, at the level you desire in a shorter period ordering the rifle.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Oh make no mistake. The only part of the build I will do is the glass bedding. Everything else will be machined and assembled by hart barrels and southern precision. From the reviews I've read his work is top notch.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

I have a Defensive Edge rifle although it is not the Canyon rifle. It is a shooter without a doubt. I know if the rifle had not lived up to its guarantee Shawn would have made it right. With multiple hands working on a rifle the waters get a little muddy sometimes when things aren't quite right. Good results can be had in many different ways. Good luck with your build however you decide to go.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with the Canyon rifles, But with good parts and a good smith you can have a rifle that is just as accurate at less cost.

The problem that I have found with big shops is normally there are multiple people working on rifles and you never know how well it will be done. In most cases the gunsmith that built the reputation
is no longer doing the work because he is to busy running the business.

With a good smith like Shawn , Chad, Kirby and some others working It from start to finish the outcome will be better most of the time.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

The guys are turning out a quality product. Without being critical of Hart in the least, I think the DE Canyon Rifle is tough to match.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

The idea is to buy all of the parts then have southern precision do all the machining and assembly. There is no doubt in my mind that if I bought a canyon rifle in 338 edge+p that it would be everything I could ever want but being the penny pincher I am I'm weighing the pros and cons. I just don't know if the added $1100 I'd pay would get my $1100 more performance. My parts list is a mirror of the canyon rifle with the exception of the action but I would have the action trued by southern precision prior to the build. Other than that I'm using all the same parts. The outcome should be a rifle that performs as good for less than 3/4 the price. Unless I'm overlooking something.