Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Can't seem to get the copper out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Can't seem to get the copper out.

Hey guys,

I have a friend's rifle that I am doing some load development for. It is a 6.5-06, and has an 'older' Lilja barrel on it. I do not know the history of this barrel.

When I 1st got the rifle home, I cleaned it thoroughly, but could not seem to get the faint trace of copper to quit showing up on the patches. I am using Tetra cleaner w/ a nylon brush. I thought that perhaps I was getting a trace of purple on the patches from the brass that the nylon brush is make w/. I do not get this w/ my rifles, so I think that it is in the barrel.

Each time that I have shot the rifle and re-cleaned, it shows a fair amount of copper that drops down to a trace as I clean. No matter how long I clean, it will not quit tracing.

This rifle is throwing fliers like I have not experienced before. I am not sure if it is the fouled barrel or that my load development is just not good. I hate to keep chasing after a load if it is the barrel.

I need help guys. Thanks Steve
Old 01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Can't seem to get the copper out.

Steve, I had a badly fouled M77 barrel that I treated with Wipeout. It took about 8 long applications to get all the copper out, but it did work. I was haveing accuracy issues with this gun and took it to a smith to get bore scoped. The bore was pitted and the throat toasted, but all copper and powder fouling were gone. It was bright and shiney. Wipeout works.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Just been going through this my self. I have spent lots of $$ trying different things. Slip 2000 for the powder and BoreTech Elimintor for the copper. Best stuff I have found. I keep trying new things but end up going back to them.

And yes, The stubborn ones take a long time. I wet it , brush, wait 5 min, wet brush again then wet patch it out. If it shows blue after setting 4 or 5 min. I start the process again.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Do a search on this---this question gets asked at least twice a week!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Montana Xtreme!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
Montana Xtreme!
Wanna buy a bottle, only used once.. Cheap!! Heck next time I come that way I will give it to you. Just don't try the BoreTech till you are out of MT Extreme. LMAO

Jeff
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Shoot I'll take that deal! Works amazing for me, and if you got a real tough guy (aka Grandpa) have em take a whiff of this stuff, then when they wake up they will take your word for things. Just make sure they aren't holding the bottle when they go down. ;)