Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Can't get my head around this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Can't get my head around this

Either a bullet can group smaller at longer distances than shorter distances. I suppose that this applies to measuring in MOA only.

Nevertheless I can't get my head around this concept.

See this:hthttp://www.the-long-family.com/bul...sions.htmtp://
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Re: Can't get my head around this

Think of the bullet as a top. When you spin a top it takes some time to level out and spin smoothly. The less mass of a bullet or a top the faster this happens...the more mass the longer it takes to level out. The same is true as the bullet or top looses speed.
Savage 116 260 rem
Stevens 300 win mag
Savage 12 vlp 243 win
Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostart View Post
Think of the bullet as a top. When you spin a top it takes some time to level out and spin smoothly. The less mass of a bullet or a top the faster this happens...the more mass the longer it takes to level out. The same is true as the bullet or top looses speed.
Lostart,

The top analogy sounds great. Except that the top never stabilizes in the same location/orientation because there are too many variables. Likewise, the bullet won't stabilize downrange such that it corrects for error that was previously induced.

Why would a bullet that wobbles and yaws begin to home in on a given point of impact as it travels farther down range like a laser guided bomb?

I beleive that those claiming to have observed this phenomenon have not proven it statistically and/or have not accurately accounted for why they shoot better at long range.

I haven't read the McCoy book. But, I suspect it's being over-stated and/or taken out of context.

Hopefully, Bryan Litz or someone knowledgeable will jump in.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Either a bullet can group smaller at longer distances than shorter distances. I suppose that this applies to measuring in MOA only.

Nevertheless I can't get my head around this concept.

See this:hthttp://www.the-long-family.com/bul...sions.htmtp://
In my experiences, it only applies to measuring in moa. I've seen loads that shot 3/4 moa at 100yds be 1/2 moa at 300 and 400 yds.

I don't see how the groups could actually get smaller though.? Unless, it's a parallax issue...? I am no expert, just passing on what I've seen with a couple of rifles.

Last edited by SBruce; 06-03-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: parallax at short distances.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
In my experiences, it only applies to measuring in moa. I've seen loads that shot 3/4 moa at 100yds be 1/2 moa at 300 and 400 yds.

I don't see how the groups could actually get smaller though.? Unless, it's a parallax issue...? I am no expert, just passing on what I've seen with a couple of rifles.
I too have seen people shoot better MOA at longer ranges.

Was it the bullet "going to sleep" or the shooter making a better effort?

All of the experiences I've seen and heard have been statistically insignificant to say one way or the other.

I have yet to see a study where someone proved this with good science.

But, I'm keen to better understand how this could be.

-- richard
Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

Howdy Roy!

I can't understand this either, I just figgure that if I can get the rifle shooting one hole groups at 100yds, It'll shoot just as well way out therE (considering I can hold still). So far It's worked out ok.

Dan
Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Haven't you guys seen the movie "Wanted?" It's all in how you bend the bullet's flight path--Angelina Jolie does a great job demonstrating it, albeit with a pistol.

Sorry, nothing actually useful to contribute to this thread--just wanted to insert some humor--I too, have been perplexed about bullets "settling" down and grouping tighter at longer distances.