Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Can't get the copper fouling out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Can\'t get the copper fouling out

Breaking in my RUM, and can't get the stubborn copper out. What's the best way? I'm using Hopps Bench Rest 9, which says you can soak the barrel overnight, which I did, and still not out.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 PM

Re: Can\'t get the copper fouling out

Sweets 7.62 or any amoina based cleaner, wipeout, coppermelt, JB. One or those should work. Do a search for barrel cleaning. Lots of stuff out there and many different opinons.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

JB bore paste will search and destroy ALL copper in your barrel. Use sparringly and use it with oil or it will slowly wear the lands down.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

For barrels that really hold onto fouling I have discovered that no single cleaning method works as well as alternating between at least 2 different methods.

I'd suggest using Barnes CR-10 or a similar aggressive copper remover (always follow directions on the bottle) and then use a mechanical cleaner like USP bore paste. After the bore paste is removed put the CR-10 back in for 10 minutes to detect if copper is still present.

If you want to go the easy route. Try using Wipe-Out bore foam. Using the Wipe-Out "Accelerator" first will really hasten the removal of stubborn copper. One thing that I have noticed with bore foams is that the foam settles onto the bottom half of the bore and does not clean stubborn copper off the top half as well as the bottom half unless the stuff is applied twice, once with the rifle left in the scope down position.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:44 PM

Bore Tech's "Eliminator" is barrel safe and removes copper better than anything I have ever used. I used to use Sweets during barrel break-ins, The Eliminator leaves it in the dust!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

get a foul out system, when ya get it clean, lap the barrel.
RR
Old 03-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

The best copper remover I have seen and seen them all, Barnes, Eliminator, wipeout etc) and the best is Montana Extreme 50 BMG.

Use a nylon brush and let it soak or 10-15 minutes. It is the probably one of the most common used by LR BR guys and they use borescopes to check results.

Second after you get it clean, buy a $28.95 David Tubbs Final Finish kit and use it. It has bullets with a varying lapping compound on them. Note, the kit calls for firing 10 of each grit, but I normally only fire 5 and it seems to work quite well.

Go to www.6mmbr.com and read their blog, they just ran an article on this very subject.

The other problem you have, is carbon buildup in the throat and BMG will also remove that.

BH