Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

cant decide, any help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

cant decide, any help?

i have been wanting a .308 for over a year now. i have always wanted a savage 10fcp in an a5, but i feel like it would be smarter for me to get a r700 sps tac instead. why? because ill be out half as much money at first, its a shorter more compact gun (id like to hunt with it) and remingtons bolt feels a little smoother than the savages. i figure if i dont lose interest in this hobby i can still get a mcm stock later on as i get the money and stuff. i would hate to spend a grand right off the bat on a 10fcp and then lose interest if that makes sense. should i get go ahead and get the r700? thanks for any ideas
Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: cant decide, any help?

Of your 2 choices, I would be happier with the Savage...kinda get what you pay for but, that's me. Doesn't sound like your sure whether your really going to enjoy shooting enough to stay with it. There's nothing less enjoyable than a rifle that doesn't shoot as well as you expected. What has you thinking you may loose interest?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Dear sir, if you havent even obtained your equipment and you are already making plans for loss of interest, I would urge you to spend as little as possible up front. Better yet dont spend anything until the bug bites you harder.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

maybe that came out wrong

i dont think i will lose interest and and i dont plan on it at all. in fact, i have been wanting a savage 10fp for over a year now. im a member on sniper central and snipers hide and ive been doing as much research as possible in that time. now i have the money for a gun and i just cant decide what to get. im saying IF i do lose interest or dont have the time to shoot really often, i will be out $500 less if i go with the sps tac or 10fp rather than the 10fcp if that makes sense. but between the 700 sps tac or the 10fp, im kinda leaning towards the rem and i want some input on which i should go with and why

i want the sps over the 10fp because i feel like its tried and true, everyone and their mom has a rem 700 so i feel like it has to be a good rifle. the bolt on the rem is a little smother and tighter than the savage imo and the barrel is already cut down to 20" which i like a lot. the rems have a ton of aftermarket stuff available for them so i have a lot more options later on down the road if i chose to go that route.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

rjackh, listen to yourself-read your last paragraph...I think you have already made your decision and are maybe looking for someone to second the motion. OK I second the motion-get the sps...you've convinced me when I read your post. It's what you want and you list several supporting reasons...Go for it!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

haha ya your right. ive called a few stores around college station and houston and none of them have one in stock and dont know when they can get one. this sucks. it would be my luck to finally decide on a rifle for my self right around christmas when you cant get anything in the mail ya know.

looks like i might be buying from a gunsmith that i know can get me one in 3-4 wks. kinda pisses me off because i wanted to hunt with it in a couple wks but deer season will probably be over by the time i get it.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Probably not alot on consolation but, look for the silver lining...For one you'll get what you want and two you'll have plenty of time to practice, work up a favorite load and who knows maybe put some nice accessories on it.