Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Can't decide. 338 Lapua or 338 Edge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Can't decide. 338 Lapua or 338 Edge

Hello shooters,

I have a 30" Broughton that I was going to build an Edge with but the Lapua brass would be really nice to use. Is the velocity difference a big enough factor to go with the edge or would it be better to go with the better brass? Please help me decide.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: Can't decide. 338 Lapua or 338 Edge

How about the .338 Norma Mag? If you're going with a standard magnum action, this one can be hard to beat. If you're going with an extended length custom magnum action I'd go with the Lapua.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcKell View Post
Hello shooters,

I have a 30" Broughton that I was going to build an Edge with but the Lapua brass would be really nice to use. Is the velocity difference a big enough factor to go with the edge or would it be better to go with the better brass? Please help me decide.
My advice would be to base your decision on your needs and the ballistic performance that best matches those needs.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

I was at this same cross road last winter. Do I go 338 edge or 338LM.

I first set out to have the edge built since there was little to no difference in FPS over the Lapua. The brass was much cheaper and Shawn Carlock has the edge pretty dialed in. Seemed like a no brainer at the time. Then I started reading more about the capabilites of the Lapua brass and what could be done by going with and improved version.

Long story short. I ended up with a 338LM ackley improved w/40 degree shoulder on a BAT reciever and a 30in 1-10 Lilja. Hoping for 3000fps with a 300gr pill most likely wishful thinking though

IMHO if you are going to use a Rem. 700 reciever go with Shawns 338 edge. If you don't want to mess with any kind of improved version of the 338LM, again, go with the edge. For me, there seemed to be no point in going with a standard 338LM over the edge. If you plan on using a custom reciever anyway and are looking for a little more in terms of FPS then an improved version of the 338LM is the obvious choice and if you are looking for one stop shopping Kirby Allen is your man. You can get your brass preformed right from him and save on barrel life.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post

I first set out to have the edge built since there was little to no difference in FPS over the Lapua. The brass was much cheaper and Shawn Carlock has the edge pretty dialed in. Seemed like a no brainer at the time. Then I started reading more about the capabilites of the Lapua brass and what could be done by going with and improved version.

Long story short. I ended up with a 338LM ackley improved w/40 degree shoulder on a BAT reciever and a 30in 1-10 Lilja. Hoping for 3000fps with a 300gr pill most likely wishful thinking though

IMHO if you are going to use a Rem. 700 reciever go with Shawns 338 edge. If you don't want to mess with any kind of improved version of the 338LM, again, go with the edge. For me, there seemed to be no point in going with a standard 338LM over the edge. If you plan on using a custom reciever anyway and are looking for a little more in terms of FPS then an improved version of the 338LM is the obvious choice and if you are looking for one stop shopping Kirby Allen is your man. You can get your brass preformed right from him and save on barrel life.

+1. Well said.

Been there and doing that. Went back and forth for months. Finally went with the 338 LM Imp that Kirby makes--the 338 AX (Allen Xpress) with 30" Rock Creek barrel on a BAT HRPIC (highly recommended by Kirby, BTW, and I finally agreed he was right when I really got to research the various actions available) custom milled for the 4" Wyatt's box and the integral 20 MOA rail and recoil lug. This action is also quite lightweight compared to many others and as my rifle is packed many miles by me in the wilderness, every ounce is an issue. This action costs a bit more, but by the time you factor cost for separate lug and rail, and the fact that these are integral on this action, the cost seems to 'go down' a bit. Kirby is routinely getting 3k fps + with the 300SMK out of this setup. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to essentially zero brass prep and much better brass to begin with. The poor neck thickness consistency on the REM brass continues to amaze me every time I go to turn the necks.

My understanding is that Carlock will build the 338 LM Imp on a REM 700 action if you pick up an aftermarket one piece CM bolt as availabe from PTG, for instance. The stock bolt being the 'weak link' and main reason many smiths won't build a LM on a Rem 700 action. I plan on making my current Rem 700 300RUM into an 338 EDGE built by Shawn, of course, at some point in the future.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 10-14-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post

Hello B23,

If you don't mind me asking, what is the price of preformed Ackley improved Lapua brass? That sounds like the best way to go.

Also, what do you all think of the Stiller tac 338 action for building the 338 AI?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Gold Member

My 338Lapua AI is going to have a 40degree Ackley shoulder which is different from what Kirby Allen has. I won't have the luxury of buying preformed brass I'm going to have to fireform my own. This is obviously IMHO is a huge advantage to going with Kirby's 338AX.