Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Can't believe my luck!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Can't believe my luck!!

I finally decided on which rifle I was going to get. Yesterday I bought a 300wm in a Remington model 700 stainless steal. It took me a bout a year and several used guns that I ended up not being happy with and selling, I finally bought yesterday. Well today before I was going to go break in the barrel I noticed that the bolt would not close when a round was chambered until alot of force was used. I then would extract the case and the base of the case would be destroyed. I took it to my local gun shop and they had there smith look at it while I was there and determined that the bolt face was not completly round. And there was a part that was causing the case to rub and not close without the bruttle force of a very large man.

I am now second guesing my purchase. I am sending it back to remington to get fixed. Acutally it does not even go to the factory. A gunsmithing warehouse in minnasota is doing all of the fixes for Remington , Browning and winchster. Should I worry I love this rifle so far. Love how the bolt is smooth, i love how it fits on my shoulder and because it is a remington there are alot of extras I can get. Should i worry!!?

Thanks guys
Darrin
Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Can't believe my luck!!

You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many Remington's I own. I have never had a problem with anyone of them. I know like everything else a problem does arise with one every now and then. I don't know what your problem is but I am certain they will fix it. All the manufacture's of rifles make good rifles today. I don't believe you would have went wrong with any make that you purchased, but I think you will be happy with your Remington. I purchased my first Remmy in 1968. I own almost all makes and shoot them, but when I go big game hunting I have a Remington with me. IMHO
Old 03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Bronze Member

Darrin,
I would say you will have no regrets, they will probably square up the bolt face and cut it as good as a custom job. I have a couple of SPS SS Rems that I purchased in the past couple of years and they shoot great. Get yourself a rifle-basix trigger and it should be an awesome shooter.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Oh thanks guys!! I know it was a great purchase. I just wanted to start shooting and load development!! i got the worse case of spring fever up here in Idaho. It's all good Patience is a vurtue

Darrin
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

You might be more lucky than you think. Often when you send a rifle in for factory repairs, they'll do "custom" type work. It's usually gonna cost ya a few bucks to have a bolf face trued, you're getting it done free! They'll also check the action for anything else that might be wrong or slightly off, so you're getting a free de-bugging and/or partial trueing of your action out of the deal. I'd bet that you'll end up with a rifle that will shoot better than the average Remmy off the shelf. The problem is that you're S O L on the cabin fever while you wait. I'm in NW Montana, so I'm feelin your pain on the cabin fever as well. Hope the repairs go quick for ya.

Cody
Old 03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanks cody me too!! I had no idea that when I sent in a rifle for repairs that that is what they did to the rifle. Now I don't feel as bad that I have to send it in. It is ging to be my long range rig. Now my cabin fever is even worse. I just want to go out and shoot.

Darrin