Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Can shooting long bullet give more bbl life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Can shooting long bullet give more bbl life

Waiting on a 28" 8" Brux 6mm bbl. It will be chambered in 6x284 . If I only shoot 105-115gr bullets will I get better bbl life then shooting faster lighter bullets ?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Can shooting long bullet give more bbl life

I doubt it.
Faster/hotter powders expose the bore to heat for less time, but it's more peak heat.
Slower/cooler powders expose the bore to less peak heat, but for a longer duration.
This I believe, is why powder AMOUNT to a given bore ID is dominant in barrel life.

You just can't wiggle things much beyond this, and no matter what you do a 6x284 will burn up with a low shot count.
The best you can do is allow the bore to cool between shots. NO HOT GROUP SHOOTING.
Assuming it's for hunting, I would focus on cold bore accuracy.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 AM
SPONSOR

Bullets with a longer bearing surface (the area that actually engages the rifling), like target bullets, will wear a barrel quicker.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Larger bullets usually require a lesser load of powder to get to the max pressure of a given caliber. Having owned 6mm/284's before I feel that lesser powder will be your friend. The 6mm/284 like most wildcats will burn the throat long before any rifling wear will come farther down the tube. Mikecr gave you good advice here. Take time to cool between shots. Shoot hot groups or take it to a dog town and start repeated firings and you are probably looking at a 500 round rifle, or less. Hunt with it and wait between shots and you will get the longest life. The heat from this large case and the relativly small bore is the killer.

Neat chambering though they tend to be very accurate.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

I've been told that Ramshot Magnum powder will give greater life then stick powder ? Any truth to that ?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Iron worker,

exactly the other way around; heavier bullets wash out a barrel notably faster than lighter ones do. Those long, heavy bullets give better performance at distance, but thqat's the price we pay for that improvement. They're particularly hard on the throat area, as it takes longer to get these bullets moving down the bore than it does a lighter one. In the meantime, all that pressure and high temp flame has more time to do its damage to this area before the bullet gets "out of the way." The rest of the barrle will be in good shape, but the throat will soon be cracked and worn for a short distance ahead of the case mouth.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

I'll for sure allow for bbl cooling . Any bore treatments out there of any merit ? There's a shooter on 6mmbr that has same caliber and bbl. He say's "He has spoken to some one on the Sierra bullets staff that claims 3,000 rnds out of a 6x284 shooting heavy bullets using Ramshot Magnum powder"