Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Can I headspace a Savage with a piece of once-fired brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Can I headspace a Savage with a piece of once-fired brass?

You should use a piece of virgin brass to get your minimum headspace. Then use a single piece of masking tape to check for no go. Don't force the bolt when you have the tape on. It shouldn't close. Make sure you screw the barrel down until it stops. Make sure it is a firm stop. You don't want to use sized or once fired brass. That will make a sloppy fit for virgin brass or factory ammo.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
You should use a piece of virgin brass to get your minimum headspace. Then use a single piece of masking tape to check for no go. Don't force the bolt when you have the tape on. It shouldn't close. Make sure you screw the barrel down until it stops. Make sure it is a firm stop. You don't want to use sized or once fired brass. That will make a sloppy fit for virgin brass or factory ammo.
I've had the exact opposite experience!!! Virgin brass in my WSM's will set the head spacing under go gauge spec, .004 under is about where I ended up with fresh cases and with the selected fired case it puts me at .0015-.002 head space after sizing case back to min spec.
I imagine all cases are different, that why I like to set back with a fired case from the chamber as it's a reflection of the current head spacing, if I want to set head spacing back to a true min spec the best way is a go gauge.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I imagine all cases are different, that why I like to set back with a fired case from the chamber as it's a reflection of the current head spacing, if I want to set head spacing back to a true min spec the best way is a go gauge.
I concur. I have a go gauge. I debated and debated about trying to use brass and chickened out. I went with the gauge so I could get repeatable head spacing when I tear down to clean and things.

To the OP, you just heard experience, so I would take his advice when using brass to set your head spacing.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

use gauges
Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
I have head spaced some with a FULL length resized case with two pieces of scotch tape stuck to the base of the case. It works.
You really don't need to do that, as the nut will usually pull the barrel forward .002"-.003" forward when under a load. Some guys have a master case they use that is actually about .002" shorter that the one they intend to use. I've never done that one. It is important to always use the same case everytime, or a gauge. Two pieces of Scotch tape will probably be about .005" - .008", and that's gonna cause you problems down the road. One layer should be more than enough.
gary
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

I always use a go gage, have about 14 barrels bouncing around on 4 actions so I need the piece of mind that I always set them the same. The good thing is that most gages will work for a family of chambers. I would never use virgin brass because I do not trust all to be the same. Could run into another unfired piece that will not fit but would fit in a barrel set with a gage.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
You may get lucky once or twice, then again you may blow it up the first time. Rent the
go no-go gauges. It's about 5.00 plus shipping.
where did you get your gun education from?
There is nothing wrong with using a full length sized case to set your head space with. P O Ackley took a rifle and unscrewed the barrel one ful turn and fired a shell in it and it didn't blow up.
I seen a guy fire a 30-06 shell in a 308 norma mag and it didn't blow up but the case did fit the 308 chamber afterwards. There was a 308 shell fired in a savage 25-06 and it didn't blowup either.
The important thing is to set your head space to the same that your die is sizing them too.