Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Can I headspace a Savage with a piece of once-fired brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

Can I headspace a Savage with a piece of once-fired brass?

Just a curiosity question. I got to thinking and question is: would it be possible to headspace a rifle (re-headspace after removing the barrel) with a piece of once-fired brass? If the brass was fired with the same rifle?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Can I headspace a Savage with a piece of once-fired brass?

I am an amature at this, and it was my first attempt at a barrel change, but that is exactly what I did.

I have taken the rifle out and it shoots great!

I will interested in seeing what the "old hands" have to say.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

I have head spaced some with a FULL length resized case with two pieces of scotch tape stuck to the base of the case. It works.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

You may get lucky once or twice, then again you may blow it up the first time. Rent the
go no-go gauges. It's about 5.00 plus shipping.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
You may get lucky once or twice, then again you may blow it up the first time. Rent the
go no-go gauges. It's about 5.00 plus shipping.
I will use the go/no go. But my once fired brass should fit after this right? Again, more of a curiosity question than anything. I am going to have a friend give me a hand with it to make sure I don't do something stoopid.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

It can be done with no issues either way, you can easily get a barrel back to where it was but I like to get the head spacing to min so I use a gauge first then after that I'll use a certain piece of brass. I have one rifle that has 4 different WSM and RUM barrels and I have no issues resetting them back.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
It can be done with no issues either way, you can easily get a barrel back to where it was but I like to get the head spacing to min so I use a gauge first then after that I'll use a certain piece of brass. I have one rifle that has 4 different WSM and RUM barrels and I have no issues resetting them back.
Good to know. My barrel came loose. Sort of a freak thing. I made a thread about it a couple months ago. I was just wondering if the fired case would allow me to get closer to the measurements that I had been using. I would hate for all of my load development and measurements to be completely screwed up. Then again, I have no idea as to what the "space" gap is between the go and no go gages, so maybe it couldn't possibly be bad enough to completely ruin my previous load development.