Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Can I feed 105 vlds through a 243 rem 700 sa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

Can I feed 105 vlds through a 243 rem 700 sa?

Ok, so I know that you can if you seat them far enough in the casing, but do you give up a lot of capacity or is it reasonable/practical? I will have a barrel chambered and installed so I dont have to worry about dstance to lands....except....my next question.....if I back the chamber in order to seat vlds to lands at mag length then can I still shoot factory loads safely?

im trying to figure out if its practical to have a semi custom 243 built that can handle and feed 105 grain vlds and amaxs from mag and still handle factory loads.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Can I feed 105 vlds through a 243 rem 700 sa?

Any issues here begin with the magazine.

If you want a magazine, then you should try longest factory and longest dummy round in VLD through it. It's no good to get bullet bearing into donut area of necks(at shoulder). This adds a bunch of variance to neck tension, increasing velocity variances.
Many of us bypass any magazine with conversion to single shot. A gunsmith can install a 'single shot follower' or 'bob sled' to do this with a factory action.
Custom actions can be had with longer aftermarket magazines.

I either buy or convert every action as single shot, and it's not a handicap, but a strength.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

Ok...good to know mike. Its very important to me to be able to feed from a magazine (preferably a blind/flush magazine). Which custom actions do you do you suggest for this build? I am willing to go with custom action in order to get everything I am asking for this particular philosophy of use.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:48 PM

You could use a Wyatts extended magazine box. That will let the OAL of your round be almost 2.990". I am having a 6mm SLR (glorified 243) built right now with a short action using this because I didn't want to go to a detachable magazine. Should work well with the 105 VLDs. Jesse.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
You could use a Wyatts extended magazine box. That will let the OAL of your round be almost 2.990". I am having a 6mm SLR (glorified 243) built right now with a short action using this because I didn't want to go to a detachable magazine. Should work well with the 105 VLDs. Jesse.
What he said....... It'll work great
Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Bronze Member

I am shooting Berger 105 VLDs and Hybrids in my Savage model 11 .243 with A.I.C. mags. with O.A.L. at 2.801" at 3160 ft/sec. and they feed smooth. It has a 28" C.B.I. barrel and will shoot through 30 caliber holes at 100 yards.
This is about the longest OAL you can shoot in factory box mags.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

MikeCR,

Donut on a factory unmodified 243 case? Seems unlikely to me.

---------------------

As for fitting and feeding from magazine. Either seat deeply or get a wyatts mag box. You won't loose that much velocity with them deep seated. I'd give it a try.

If you do get the Wyatt's extended magazine you can still shoot factory ammo safely. Don't know if you will have any feeding issues from the longer magazine. Not sure if you realize the bolt stop will have to be altered so the bolt can be retracted further rearward. Also some metal will have to be removed from the front portion of the receiver's mag box recess to accommodate this longer mag box. Check out Wyatt's website to see the details: WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

The issue with the VLDs is whether or not they will shoot accurately with a jump to the lands. If you cannot get them to shoot you could switch to the 105 match target hybrids which are not as sensitive to seating depth. I am jumping them .065" in my 6mm-284 and they shoot very accurately.

Not sure which VLDs you are using, hunting or target. If you are using the hunting version you may question using the hybrid target bullet for hunting. I shot a coues wt at 509 yds this year with the 6mm-284 and the 105 hybrid and it worked fine. Velocity impact just under 2800 fps. In fact it was far more devastating than the 115 VLDs that I shot several deer from a 257 weatherby at higher velocities.

Let us know how things turn out