Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Can changing a stock alter your average FPS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Can changing a stock alter your average FPS?

Interesting. I never knew that could happen with ammo that has been loaded and stored for a period of time. I'm using Winchester brass. Is there a time frame on that or is it more a case by case basis? I did load the ammo in january of this year.

If it is a case of hardening and neck weld, is it time to change out the brass?

Also, I think I will will take your advice and play switcharew with the stocks over a chrony and see what happens. Thank you...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

I would guess also it is your crony. If it is in the sun it will read different then when in the shade. I have seen several that do this. Also temp will affect your powder also. By that I mean if it is hotter out when you last checked your velocity then when you originally checked it, it can make a big difference. your powder will burn hotter.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

I think switching stocks back would be a good test.

Bart B has previously said that changing shooters will change the velocity using the same gun and ammo.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

A few months loaded will not cause serious neck weld in the true sense but every time you reload the brass work hardens a bit more and the harder the brass the quicker true neck weld will take place . However it will have more neck tension than it had when originaly loaded . How much more depends on how soft the necks were to begin with , how thick the brass is and how much neck tension was initially applied. I have done a lot of work on neck weld and completed a 10 year trial on stored reloads . When the brass age hardens it also shinks in diameter at the thinnest points that are under strain , the neck , and quite dramaticly .
I don't think that increased neck tension is the whole issue as the velocity difference is quite small and some of it would be normal chrony error and normal shot to shot variations .
One way to combat incraesed neck tension on stored loads is the seat the bullet long to start with and then when it comes time to use them seat the bullet to the correct depth . This helps break the grip to some degree but does not arrest long term strain hardening and shinkage .
The military know all this and usually use and replace there ammo in around 7 year cycles .
For pecision shooting regular annealing of the neck is a good idea as long as it is done right .
Old 08-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

Well, i put the old stock back on my rifle and went to the range. Rezeroed it and shot at 400yds using the old data. Bingo-perfect. Ran it across a Chrony. Bingo- same FPS I was getting with the old stock. I agree that its weird, but it's what it is. Guess the action just didnt like the stock I tried on it.

I did learn something though from this post about the neck hardening and I willl keep that in mind when long term storing some of my ammo.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Did you shoot with the new stock right after chrono'ing the old stock? If not you don't have a good control. You cannot say the new stock causes faster velocites.... yet.

Let us know when you test both stocks under same conditions.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Whats the fit like for you between stocks? if your really loose with one and tight with the other it can make a difference, maybe not much of one but it changes what happens with your rifle as the bullet travels down the barrel.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe