Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Camera switch Instead of trigger? Any one seen one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Camera switch Instead of trigger? Any one seen one?

I posted here a while back about making a custom stock for a man with all five of his fingers chopped of down to the nub. I altered a boyds stock to work but the problem was by the time you get his fingers close enough to the trigger the stock is too thin to have enough duribility for a hunting rifle. I don't see any solutions without getting into some majior stock alteration and actually machineing a metal grip and attaching it to a laminate stock. My friend and I were brain storming and he metioned that for some time that they were expermenting with putting camera switches . ithink on the heavy guns to eliminate any human error. My thinking is if i can but a mechinical switch of some kind on a regular long range hunting rifle and mount the button in a comfortable spot for him to activate and fire the rifle. I am planning on using a savage trued action for the project if possible. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about this. Thank for reading the post and please if you have any better ideas please post. Thanks again Reed
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Camera switch Instead of trigger? Any one seen one?

I know that the Remington 700 EtronX was a electrically controlled firing system. This might be easily adjusted to be tripped by a switch like a camera's. It seems like I have seen a roller that mounted inside the trigger guard for people who can't pull a trigger. There is a TV show called Unlimited Outdoors. I don't know what the hosts handicaps are caused by but he is pretty severley handicapped though it doesn't seem to slow him down much at all. He uses some sort of bar inside the trigger guard that he can push with his hand and it pivots back to trip the trigger. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

I am going to figure something out. Every Idea helps. If there is a will there is a way. Thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Reed,

Im not sure but it has been years ago i put a electronic trigger in a mod 70 win 220swift varmint rifle. I cant for the life of me remember who made the darn thing but the trigger shoe just bumped into a micro switch, spring loaded for pull. It could of been mounted anywhere, cut into the pistol grip for palm shooting or short fingers. Just an idea.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 11-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Dave that is exactly what i needed to hear. Is there any way I can find out any more info on that trigger device? Was it reliable? It would be great if I could do the same, I just don't have the heart to turn anyone down that wants to get into long range hunting. Are you going to be ready to test the sightron sIII in about 2 weeks?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

Reed,
I looked all over for any remnents of paper work on the trigger, couldn't find anything. I sold the rifle years ago so that is out of the question too. Yes the trigger was excellent, it could be set from 1/10th of an ounce to 3#.

Send the scope any time, i can put it on and give her a try.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 11-23-2006, 07:43 PM

Hey Reed this is a great cause.
I got a HySkore Remote Hydraulic Trigger Release - but being a mechanical moron was not able to get it working.

I think you could replace the syringe with a bulb and he could bite on the bulb to compress the fluid and fire the gun.

I'd like to make everyone of LRH aware of this project as I think it's one we should all support. Thank you very much for your efforts.
-