Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Callahan speedlock upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

Re: Callahan speedlock upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I neck size only and only partially move the shoulder back when necessary because I like my shells in the chamber tight and centered. Which leads me to believe my firing pin doesnt move my case at all in the chamber.. any knowledge on this? I had never considered this theory before.
If your shell stayed fully conformed to the chamber after firing it would be almost impossible to eject. The elasticity of brass allows it to shrink (extremely small amount) so that the shell can be ejected. Neck sizing will prevent the shoulder from being set back even further, but the cartridge will still move just a miniscule amount when the firing pin hits it until it fully contacts the shoulder of your chamber and the primer ignites.

For all practical purposes your shell doesn't move much, but theoretically it is still moving just a bit until it firmly seats against the chamber and the primer is ignited.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
If your shell stayed fully conformed to the chamber after firing it would be almost impossible to eject. The elasticity of brass allows it to shrink (extremely small amount) so that the shell can be ejected. Neck sizing will prevent the shoulder from being set back even further, but the cartridge will still move just a miniscule amount when the firing pin hits it until it fully contacts the shoulder of your chamber and the primer ignites.

For all practical purposes your shell doesn't move much, but theoretically it is still moving just a bit until it firmly seats against the chamber and the primer is ignited.
that seems right, although my bolts are all fairly stiff to close... the purpose of that is to center the round in the chamber obviously so if all is square and centered I guess theoretically it wont matter if the firing pic moves my case a little...

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
that seems right, although my bolts are all fairly stiff to close... the purpose of that is to center the round in the chamber obviously so if all is square and centered I guess theoretically it wont matter if the firing pic moves my case a little...
I totally agree. The theory behind a lot of things doesn't really matter for practical purposes. Your rifles seem to shoot well enough that whatever your doing is working
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I totally agree. The theory behind a lot of things doesn't really matter for practical purposes. Your rifles seem to shoot well enough that whatever your doing is working
I like to think so, but there is always room for improvement, i wish i had the money to have an action with a barrel screwed to it with windows cut in it so I could better visualize what happens in the chamber. would be fun to experiment with

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad