Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Call me nutts, but.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Call me nutts, but.........

OK guys, Ive been a ''purist'' for my whole life, blued and wood Winchesters. But here lately Ive been lookin at some AR's..... ya I know... but Im seriously pondering the thought of selling my Model-70 Win 300wby, and my Browning A-Bolt 338 Win, to buy an AR. But I want an AR in 300wsm. Fun mid/long range idea I think.
Anybody got any Idea who makes one chambered in 300wsm? (NOT 300saum) I know Jasonprox700 is an AR nutt, as are a bunch of guys here, but I just need a place to start researching what I want/need with an AR platform in this caliber. Any advise for what to look for or what to avoid? New territory for me here so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and dont worry, Ill still have a few Model-70's and model-94's in the gun cabnet for me and my son when he outgrows his Crickett .22 (he's only 4 so I got a while). Not to mention Im still a ''purist'' at heart so Ill eventually add more Model-70's to my Winchester collection, and bring it back up to replace the holes left in the gun cabnet. Thanks

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Call me nutts, but.........

First of all you are NUTS!!! just kidding. I have been thinking about building one in .223. I cant really help you out because I dont know much about them but if you go to brownells.com they have a free video series you can watch online called how to build an AR I think midway does too. Let me know if you sell that browning I would be interested in it.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
OK guys, Ive been a ''purist'' for my whole life, blued and wood Winchesters. But here lately Ive been lookin at some AR's..... ya I know... but Im seriously pondering the thought of selling my Model-70 Win 300wby, and my Browning A-Bolt 338 Win, to buy an AR. But I want an AR in 300wsm. Fun mid/long range idea I think.
Anybody got any Idea who makes one chambered in 300wsm? (NOT 300saum) I know Jasonprox700 is an AR nutt, as are a bunch of guys here, but I just need a place to start researching what I want/need with an AR platform in this caliber. Any advise for what to look for or what to avoid? New territory for me here so any input would be greatly appreciated.
I would expect that Accuracy Systems could build you a 300 WSM AR-10 or LR-xxx.
Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15
They offer a 325 WSM so they know how to handle the case size. I personally like the DPMS LR-xxx platform because it uses AR-15 triggers and there is a much better trigger selection.
The WSM or SAUM cases are pushing the AR-10 design for bolt thrust since it was designed for the smaller diameter and lower pressure 7.62x51 Nato cartridge.

I have two 300 SAUM LR-30S rifles but have not attempted to own a rifle in 300 WSM (or any WSM cartridge). Any of the AR's except the Long Action MCRs made by Cobb (bought out by Bushmaster) will have the problem of limited magazine length since they all use 308 magazine bodies. if you want to shoot light bullets they're ok but not suitable for heavy VLDs. I shoot 190 SMK's in the 300 SAUMs but it's tight with deep seated bullets. The 300 SAUM is a shorter case than the 300 WSM. (2.003 vs 2.090). I expect you can get a 300 WSM AR if you want to spend some money. An additional cost of making any gas operated semi-auto (compared to a bolt action) is getting the gas system to work right for a new cartridge.

It's sad though to see a "purist" lose their purity...
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
I would expect that Accuracy Systems could build you a 300 WSM AR-10 or LR-xxx.
Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15
They offer a 325 WSM so they know how to handle the case size. I personally like the DPMS LR-xxx platform because it uses AR-15 triggers and there is a much better trigger selection.
The WSM or SAUM cases are pushing the AR-10 design for bolt thrust since it was designed for the smaller diameter and lower pressure 7.62x51 Nato cartridge.

I have two 300 SAUM LR-30S rifles but have not attempted to own a rifle in 300 WSM (or any WSM cartridge). Any of the AR's except the Long Action MCRs made by Cobb (bought out by Bushmaster) will have the problem of limited magazine length since they all use 308 magazine bodies. if you want to shoot light bullets they're ok but not suitable for heavy VLDs. I shoot 190 SMK's in the 300 SAUMs but it's tight with deep seated bullets. The 300 SAUM is a shorter case than the 300 WSM. (2.003 vs 2.090). I expect you can get a 300 WSM AR if you want to spend some money. An additional cost of making any gas operated semi-auto (compared to a bolt action) is getting the gas system to work right for a new cartridge.

It's sad though to see a "purist" lose their purity...
OH MY! I have more expensive taste than I thought!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"