Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Calibre Selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Calibre Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
That's a pretty expensive build, even in Auzzie dollars with US sourced parts.

A 6.5 or 7 in a WSM will get you all the roo you can find, anything on NZ you can find. Less meat damage and just as dead.

Unless you are going to Africa or part of your desire is a big big bang, then go 338.

338NM is not that popular in the US, much more Lapua or RUM based.

That's actually in New Zealand dollars which normally you can take a few hundred off though at the moment the Aussie dollar is really down so it's not far off. I would happily skip on the fluting to save myself $380 straight up.

Haha Australia isn't as glamorous as the movies make it sound. Every single native species in Australia is protected. Roo's are high on that list and can only be shot under permit if they're damaging crops. Fortunately I'm a farm boy so I have no shortage of access to them but we generally just use the .223 for them.
In Aus our main two game animals on the east coast are Red deer and the larger Sambar deer. They can both take the punishment, especially sambar so having that extra punch is good.

My mate suggested the Norma Mag over the Lapua pretty much based on the fact that brass is half the price I think.

MMERSS - Thanks mate, I'll look a little more into it. We also have buffalo and banteng which I'd love to hunt one day and they're tough. Having said that I know the 7mmRM will still kill cleanly so I am considering it.

Appreciating the help fellas

jp

Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_q8lGytlOHspljC7H6_AA
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

A 338 Rum would not be a barrel burner of the same order as the 7 or 300 rum. The bore is bigger and the case slightly less capacity. It offers performance right next to the 338 Lapua. So I would think that capacity and barrel life would be similar between the two.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

Not so bad of NZ dollars.

IMHO Intended quarry does justify a 338.

A 338NM vs. 338LM is an easy choice if components are more available for the NM.

RUM based would still be my choice because it saves the bolt work.

Don't get talked into something you don't want, it's your custom rifle.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

If you have the funds 338 Lapua would be the round. The ammo will be expensive though. I am about to do a build on a rem 700 in 7mm rem mag. So, I am partial to that round at the moment. You can't go wrong with the 7RM, 300WM, or 338WM. Also, the RUM fam is excellent as well. Lastly, you always have the 7mm STW to consider.