Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Calibre long range large game superior ballistic coeficient/performanc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

Calibre long range large game superior ballistic coeficient/performanc

Hello all, with a lot of help from all here, I believe I have the most excellent varmint gun made [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am so happy with that rig that I am now selling my 7mm on gunbroker and I am going to start from the ground up with my large game rig. Since so many of you (most/all)are so much more knowledgeable about bullet flight than I am, i thought i would get your input on the calibre. I am not really sold on any, and would like to go at this with a more scientific approach than opinionated. What bullet statistically, all things equal, due to it's shape alone, will 9 times out of ten travel through air to a given point more accurately than others. I have heard the.300, but I know most marksmen swear by 6mm, I do not know. But 6mm might be a little small, again i do not know, never even held one. Can you all shed some insight on this for me?

I have .270, 300, 7mm,30-06, collected and like them all, but i only hunt one gun from white tail to bear. I want knock down and power to get out to 500+ yards and still drop an animal.

Would you all pass some of your wisdom on to me?

Thank You - Rod
Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Calibre long range large game superior ballistic coeficient/performanc

I don't claim to be one of the experts on this site, but here is my 2 cents. The .308 has an excellent selection of bullets to use if you load yourself. The 6 mm is a little more limited. a 30 cal mag will have much much more recoil than the 6 mm class and will make it a little harder to shoot. But I prefer 30 cal even though a big 6 or 6.5 will have enough power to kill a deer out to 500 yards.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Calibre long range large game superior ballistic coeficient/performanc

Superlite 17

If you are talking large size (not typical East Coast 125-150lb) deer and large black bear, then you want a 30 caliber minimum and preferably a magnum or maybe 7mm WSM. NC coastal Black bears are going up to 800 lbs with at least 10 over 500 lbs each year.

A 6mm is definitely and the 6.5 is just too iffy for anything less than perfect shot.

both the 6,6.5 and 30 will shoot much better than we can hold them normally. The key is wind drift and KE (kinetic energy) for knockdown on the other end. Highest BC bullets for the 6 will be in the low .5 range, the 6.5 in the low .6 with the 30 cals being in the low to mid .6 range.

IMO the 300 WSM is just about perfect for what you want. You can go from the 165-200 gr bullets with both quality factory premium loads and reloads. It has flat trajectory, relatively easily handled recoil with a decent stock, high quality factory loads etc. For some reason the 300 WSMs are running double or longer barrel life than comparable other magnums in the LR BR game.

Short action gun, 26" #4 or larger barrel and quality scope it can weigh as little as 7 lbs to in the low teens.

Stiller predator or Lawton action $750

used Rem bottom metal $50

used Rem tuned trigger $75

Wyatts extended mag box $50

custom barrel chambered/installed $500

Stock $200-500 depending on preference (HS Precision, Brown Precision, Manners etc)

Pillar Bedded $150

Misc gunsmithing $200 (no more than if that)

Rings bases $75-200

Used Swarovski/Kahles with TDS reticle $450-850 (add up to $400 more for new)

Bottom line, gun and scope for under $2000 to max $3000 if you want a custom. If factory, then look at the Savage 12 with heavy barrel in the 300 WSM this year and cost will That gives you the typical SC "beanfield" rifle, which is what it sounds lik you are looking for.

Now if you want to reload, look at the 7 WSM, BC is in the mid to high .6s but you will need a custom barrel in a 1-9 twist. However at 500 yards or so, we are only talking a couple inches between the 7 and 300 WSM. My vote is the 300 WSM.

BH
Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Gold Member

Re: Calibre long range large game superior ballistic coeficient/perfor

[ QUOTE ]
"Hello all, with a lot of help from all here, I believe I have the most excellent varmint gun made [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I am so happy with that rig..."

Thank You - Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... are you going to keep the world in suspense?

What, pray tell, is "... the most excellent varmint gun made"??

Inquiring minds want to know.

How did you scope it, and what critters have you shot with it.

All of us might like to get one!

You obviously have found the "Holy Grail" of varmint guns [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

LRH member #23
Old 05-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Hello all, with a lot of help from all here, I believe I have the most excellent varmint gun made [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I am so happy with that rig..."

Thank You - Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... are you going to keep the world in suspense?

What, pray tell, is "... the most excellent varmint gun made"??

Inquiring minds want to know.

How did you scope it, and what critters have you shot with it.

All of us might like to get one!

You obviously have found the "Holy Grail" of varmint guns [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you made any friends or good impressions with your post to this guy. Maybe a dose of humility would help you a little.

James
Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you made any friends or good impressions with your post to this guy. Maybe a dose of humility would help you a little.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you just had to be there and receive his nasty PM's.

My father told me that if you can count your friends on one hand, you are lucky - if you can count them on two hands, your standards are too low.

I have a hand full of friends!

LRH member #23
Old 05-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you just had to be there and receive his nasty PM's.

My father told me that if you can count your friends on one hand, you are lucky - if you can count them on two hands, your standards are too low.

I have a hand full of friends!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you have a lot to contribute, but you really turn off a lot of the neophytes and experienced posters here due to your abrasive attitude and demeanor. Most of the time, you message is lost due to the sarcasm and just basic rudeness.

Hopefully your father is helping you work on these issues and if he is not, then that probably explains the situation.

James