Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Caliber for new rifle build- 7mmRSAUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Caliber for new rifle build- 7mmRSAUM?

All,

Im a new member, but have been reading this forum for some time. Lots of great advice, but cannot find any info specific to my concern with a new rifle build, and caliber selection.

Im looking into a 7mmRSAUM, for a long range hunting/long range tac competition rifle that I could also shoot in F-Class. I know that it will be a compromise rifle, and far from a true open class F-Class rifle.

So...question is, with a 26" barrel, will I get the velocity needed to make the 7mmRSAUM worth while, or is there a better caliber for that velocity range/barrel length?

Id like to shoot BVLD 180's, build on a mag action to load them long, and it will be a repeater action. Will run it compensated for all but F-Class, and take it off and put a thread adapter on.

Barrel life is a concern, but not a deal breaker, Im assuming that whatever Im shooting will be hot, and hell on barrels anyway. Im trying to get a moderate recoiling rifle, with magnumish performance, so Im not interested in 300 Win Mags etc (I have one now).

Really looking forward to any advice you all have, thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: Caliber for new rifle build- 7mmRSAUM?

I've been shooting the 7 SAUM for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I have a 28" barrel, and using H4831sc I'm sending the 180 gr Berger Hybrid right at 3045 fps with amazing accuracy. My action is a Surgeon 591 (short action) and will be made into a repeater after the new year. When the time comes for a new barrel, I plan on staying with the 7 SAUM and adding a suppressor intead of the break. I am changing out the Manners T2 stock for a carbon stock from Alpine Gun Works that should be here tomorrow. The next up grade is a Vortex Razor scope. Otherwise I'm very very happy with the build.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM

JARHEAD,

Thanks for the response, sounds very promising. I wanted to stay above 2900fps, and that sounds do-able with the 26" barrel. I agree with the suppressor, as I have used them extinsively before in the past, it is a great option. Im looking at the manners folder stocks myself, but am concerned about the weight.

Is the surgeon SA receiver long enough to mag feed the 7mm RSAUM if you load them long, like with the 180's? I have heard conflicting info, and that is primarily the reason I was looking at long actions....I'd like to stick to a short action if its still possible to mag feed them and run them long.

Im not sure how the rules on this forum go, so I'll tread lightly with "promoting" a company, but the folks at Vortex optics (whom I have no affiliation with) are great Americans. They donated about 4000 dollars worth of optics to my sniper section prior to a deployment to Afghanistan, that came in handy on many occassions.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Official LRH Spponsor

Do it its a great caliber. I use the Berger 168vld over Retumbo at 3160fps in a 28 inch barrel short action. If you go with the 180's use the Berger 180 Hybrids.

Here is more info in it.

Bighorn 7saum Thunderbeast 30p-1!! (Video Update) - Sniper's Hide Forums

Re: "Melonite barrel treatment" (DONE)!!!! - Sniper's Hide Forums

7mm SAUM + 180 Berger Hybrids - Sniper's Hide Forums
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

I think the 7WSM and SAUM are great cartridges. Just beware of brass availability. The SAUMs, though great concepts, did not take off in sales.

If you find brass, either by Norma, RP, Nosler, or whomever, buy a LOT of it.

I prefer the grand 'ol 7mag myself. Used by snipers for years.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Guys,

Damn, Im happy to see such quick feedback and great advice, its much appreciated. Ive considered necking down .300 SAUM Nosler brass, but heard that Remington stuff is good also if you sort and turn necks, which I would be more willing to do then necking down brass. Guess it just depends on what I can find to begin with.

The load data supplied is a great place to start, and I appreciate it. I also liked the melonite "coating" article, since Im trying like hell to get the max velocity from a 26" pipe.

I see all of you guys are running the SA's, can you load 180's long and still mag seat them? Is that the reason for the Berger hybrids, or are you just a fan of the round? I guess the way I look at it right now, I'll put up with the extra 3/4" or so on action length to have more options in the future, in load length, and rechambering if necessary.

That said, Im open to any info any disadvantages to the long actions. Im basing some of my decision on prior experiences with the M24 system, and its "upgradability" to .300 WinMag. Ive always heard the rumors of action rigidity compromised with LA's and repeaters, but I call BS, and if there is minimal accuracy loss, I think its a worthwhile trade on both issues...again, Im always learning, so feel free to fill me in.

7Mag...can't argue with results, it's also a great round, but always heard that it has more felt recoil, if all other things are equal (bullet weight, velocity etc). Im trying to get that performance with minimal recoil, to avoid recoil tolerance issues while training. And isn't 7mmMag belted?

Thanks guys, loads of great info here, excited to have finally got on this forum!

"The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten"
Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not very recoil sensitive so I'm lucky I guess. Yes the 7mag is belted. I don't care. I am shooting itty bitty groups with both of mine.