Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Buying a Gunwerks LR-1000 a good choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Buying a Gunwerks LR-1000 a good choice?

I have owned many 'custom' guns and accurized factory guns etc. I have a little experience with the LR 1000. It is a Stiller Predator Action and a douglas barrel. The HS precision stock is nice.

4500 for this rifle is BS! plain and simple.

I have an Ed brown savanna that is full house custom and is much better than the LR 1000.
The EB is the best full custom I have owned or been around. I am awaiting my first surgeon GAP so we will see if it lasts. The GAP is a Tactical rifle though. MY ED Brown 300 WM will shoot lights out at 1K and is chaper than the GW LR1000.

I am a fan of the show and I think the guys are pretty good at what they do but I think they are getting a premium for a TV show eye candy.

I do not however have any experience with the HUskemaw scope. the turrets seem pretty slick. I might have to get a set for my scope.

As many have said before there are OPTIONS out there. Do your research and figureout what ou want and get r done!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Most of the fun I derive from shooting is learning about everything involved in the process.
I don't think you would enjoy your $6000.00 setup as much as if you took the time to learn about what caliber you want to shoot, build components such as the action, barrel, stock, ect. and find a smith to put it together for you.
Learning to reload is also part of the process.

You could setup a Remington Sendero rifle with a good scope for a hell of alot less than $6000 and have a very good setup to start with.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_hunter View Post
I'm looking at buying my first hunting rifle that will be set up fully for long range. Does anyone know anything about this rifle?

Gunwerks - Gunwerks LR-1000 Shooting System

The total price will be something like $6,500.00

Is this basically just a Remington 700 with a nice scope? Would it be the same if I were to just buy the Remington 700 XCR and put on that nice scope that they have? That would save a bit of money and be the same gun, right? If not what are the differences?

I know I'm new to all this but I'm excited to get into it. I hope I can get some good help with this and I can contribute to this forum in the future.

Thanks all!
I'm sure it's a good rifle but I honestly believe you could build a rifle that shot equally well and finance a guided hunt besides. You decide...Rich
Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Banned

NO!!! Terribly priced for what you get. Build one yourself the way you want it and save a few thousand in the process.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Alright now for the truth

My buddy (like a lot of people I'm sure) saw the TV show and was sold on this setup. I told him about this site I like to look at now and then (LRH.com) and told him I would make a post. He's read everyone's response and still just wants one of these. I gave him my piece, which like most other people is that it's a great setup but overpriced. I guess when you got your mind set on something there's no stopping... I'm definitely not too disturbed by it though because I'll get to shoot it now and then. I'll be sure and report how he likes it and how I like it once that day comes around. There've been some good comments on here though and I'm glad about that. I'm saving up to buy myself my first long range setup for a special day coming up in a couple years (EAS from the Marine Corps) so it's nice to hear about building custom rifles. I've got the "science" to taking long range shots down pretty well but I don't know the first thing about how to customize a rifle and the quality of every different producer out there.

Now that I made an account and everything I'm sure I'll make some comments here and there, but I wont have much to contribute to the site for the next couple years until I'm able to get back into the swing of hunting and shooting full time again. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 AM

Feel free to help me out in my new thread

"Very basics about customizing a rifle"
Very basic about customizing a rifle

And I hope you all don't feel like your comments here were wasted. It was great and useful to read everyones response and take everything into consideration. Thanks again for all the replies, I never thought I'd get that many!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_hunter View Post
Alright now for the truth

My buddy (like a lot of people I'm sure) saw the TV show and was sold on this setup. I told him about this site I like to look at now and then (LRH.com) and told him I would make a post. He's read everyone's response and still just wants one of these. I gave him my piece, which like most other people is that it's a great setup but overpriced. I guess when you got your mind set on something there's no stopping... I'm definitely not too disturbed by it though because I'll get to shoot it now and then. I'll be sure and report how he likes it and how I like it once that day comes around. There've been some good comments on here though and I'm glad about that. I'm saving up to buy myself my first long range setup for a special day coming up in a couple years (EAS from the Marine Corps) so it's nice to hear about building custom rifles. I've got the "science" to taking long range shots down pretty well but I don't know the first thing about how to customize a rifle and the quality of every different producer out there.

Now that I made an account and everything I'm sure I'll make some comments here and there, but I wont have much to contribute to the site for the next couple years until I'm able to get back into the swing of hunting and shooting full time again. Thanks again.
Thank you SO much for your service and feel free to check in whenever......Rich