Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Buy or Build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Buy or Build?

Having just finished building a new tactical rifle I can tell you that I certainly endorse the statement that building a rifle provides greater satisfaction than buying one off the shelf.
HOWEVER, building a rifle takes patience. My build, from action to barrel, stock, scope, and accessories took nearly a year to complete. I began in April of 2013 with an action and barrel order and finally got the package together last week for it's virgin visit to the range. The action order was delayed, the stock order was delayed, and I looked at a barrel (delivered on time) for a long time with nothing to mate with it. Yesterday, I was in the local gun shop and saw a brand new finished ready to go rifle of comparable character (and slightly lower price than my build) sitting on the counter. Conclusion: if you want to shoot today, go to the gun shop - if you can wait a year start your build today.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

There is a vital factor in 'building' guns that most overlook: proper design.
Savage builds guns the way they do because they know how to design guns, and they do a lot of R&D.

How many of us have really studied to understanding the design of successful guns?
How many of us merely purchase shiny components and screw them together(or have a 'smith' do this)?
There is a difference.
There are valid reasons for each unique attribute of a WSM Savage.

So before you think you can build a better gun, you might at least consider that this will not be as easy as screwing shiny parts together.

Ask yourself why does Savage;
Use tighter thread pitch and a barrel nut and floating bolt heads
use larger barrel tennon for WSM guns
Use controlled round push feed, and standing blade ejection with WSM guns

If you think its to save money, then you'll never understand why Savages shoot so well.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

I never claimed I could do it better than Savage. I simply thought IF I was going to build a gun my best option would be a savage. I did not know that there were so many differences in the wsm guns. I would be just as happy with a 300 win mag. The problem with that is the stocks that I'm interested in (B&C varmint medalist, or HS pro series Varmint) do not come in a savage long action.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP218 View Post
I never claimed I could do it better than Savage. I simply thought IF I was going to build a gun my best option would be a savage. I did not know that there were so many differences in the wsm guns. I would be just as happy with a 300 win mag. The problem with that is the stocks that I'm interested in (B&C varmint medalist, or HS pro series Varmint) do not come in a savage long action.
If you want one of those stocks, you'd be better off going with a trued-up Rem 700 action.

Which is my personal favorite, and my #1 choice.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Build. When it is successful you get so much cred and satisfaction.

If it has problems, you know the gun and have no one to blame.

If those are the stocks you want, start watching for deals and forsales. Then get the action to go with.

I am a Weatherby preferrer but have a few R700's. Friends have Savages. You makes you choice and you pays you money.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

AP218

BUY the 12 VLP DBM, I have one and they shoot great just add scope and ammo no waiting
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

There are greatcustom rifles in classified here with no wait and low round count. There was just recent a Gap 300 if I remeber. May very nice rifles at a discount to build yourself,300's very popular now