Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Buy or Build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Bronze Member

Buy or Build?

I have the itch for a new rifle, and I really like the savage model 12 VLP DBM 300WSM. I am set on a 300 WSM or a 300 WM. Am I better off to just buy a model 12 VLP DBM or build something from an older savage gun? At this point I don't have a donor action or any other parts to start the build. Just curious as to what direction I should go. I also considered building a 300wsm on a long action but have noticed that stocks for long action savages seem to be a little harder to find.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Buy or Build?

I would just buy it. Get the accutrigger..
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

I can't help you on your rifle brand, as I am not a fan of Savage...

However, I can tell you that buying is not as satisfying as building, because building you will get exactly what you want. And for me, I'm really into the Ackley chamberings, so, you're not really gonna find many of those sitting on a shelf. And if you do, you don't know who built them, or how competent the smith was. Therefore I prefer to build. Especially since my smith lives 15 mins from my house.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP218 View Post
I have the itch for a new rifle, and I really like the savage model 12 VLP DBM 300WSM. I am set on a 300 WSM or a 300 WM. Am I better off to just buy a model 12 VLP DBM or build something from an older savage gun? At this point I don't have a donor action or any other parts to start the build. Just curious as to what direction I should go. I also considered building a 300wsm on a long action but have noticed that stocks for long action savages seem to be a little harder to find.

Keep in mind, if you intend to build a mag fed 300WSM from an older action, it needs to be a WSM action to feed properly. There's nothing wrong with a DYI on a Savage, if you have a barrel vise, you can do it in your garage. I believe there are 5 Savages in my safe right now, they're good to go. The Rifle Basix triggers offer a great pull weight & break very well for a relatively inexpensive trigger, no need for the accu-trigger if you build your own.

The VLP is a great rifle, i'm sure you'd be happy with it. If you want to rock a 300win mag look at the LRH.

t

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Keep in mind, if you intend to build a mag fed 300WSM from an older action, it needs to be a WSM action to feed properly. There's nothing wrong with a DYI on a Savage, if you have a barrel vise, you can do it in your garage. I believe there are 5 Savages in my safe right now, they're good to go. The Rifle Basix triggers offer a great pull weight & break very well for a relatively inexpensive trigger, no need for the accu-trigger if you build your own.

The VLP is a great rifle, i'm sure you'd be happy with it. If you want to rock a 300win mag look at the LRH.

t
I have looked at the LRH, however a good friend of mine bought one and it shoots fair for about 4 shots. After 4-5 shots it heats up quickly even giving 3-4 minutes between shots. I am not really set on a savage but I thought it would be the least costly to build.

Can you tell me more about needing a wsm action? What if I build it with an internal blind magazine?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP218 View Post
I have looked at the LRH, however a good friend of mine bought one and it shoots fair for about 4 shots. After 4-5 shots it heats up quickly even giving 3-4 minutes between shots. I am not really set on a savage but I thought it would be the least costly to build.

Can you tell me more about needing a wsm action? What if I build it with an internal blind magazine?

If you intend to go with a short action, you will need the Magnum bolt face & if it was originally intended for a standard SA cartridge i.e. 308, 243 etc The Magazine feed rails may have to be modified adding additional Gunsmith fees. I say "MAY" have to be modified as I have not done this with a Savage, I have with a Rem700 & the action had to be modified. The mag will have to be changed to a WSM mag as well, I've heard there were issues with the older mags thus the move to the center feed.

t

Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

Without a doubt build if you can swing it and tolerate the wait time...It'll be worth it in the long term. FWIW Ive been able to build my last 2 customs in 3 months or less.