Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

burning exposed lead tip?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Bronze Member

burning exposed lead tip?

Hi Folks,

I just received the latest issue of an otherwise reputable magazine (at least I thought they were reputable) and an article there said something like…at modern magnum velocities an exposed lead tip (such as the Sierra Game King) will burn off!!!

I am now wondering at what temperature/velocity will this be a true statement or is this fellow full of … well, you get the idea.

Thanks,
Konrad
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 09-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: burning exposed lead tip?

Let me know what Mag that is so I can drop my subscription if I do have one . Whomever wrote that article is so full of horse dung you could throw a seed at him and it would grow. Total BS

Lead melts at 621F....
Old 09-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Bronze Member

I was shocked.
Guns and Ammo November 2013.
I have enormous respect for Craig Boddington but the statement, “At modern velocities an exposed lead tip will usually burn off…” in his article “Deer Bullets 101” really surprised me.

While I am no aeronautical engineer and don’t really know the amount of heat generated but bullets traveling at 4000+ fps (which few modern hunting rifles attain), it would stand to reason that I would have read about the issue and it would have been used as an advertising ploy years ago.

I was truly surprised.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

And I Spose he thinks Plastic tip bullets won't melt?

While I have no scientific evidence to back anything up, I'd have to agree. Full of horse dung.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

7. How hot does the aircraft get flying at Mach 3+? (3300FPS) From 600 to 900+ degrees Fahrenheit on the airframe
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Thats a fair statement but....

The frictional coefficient of the atmosphere acting on an airframe (or pill) traveling at that speed isn't instantenous heating. Takes a while to heat to that temperature. Even a magnum round travelling a protracted distance like say 2,000 yards, travels that distance in seconds, not nearly long enough for the friction of the atmosphere to heat a lead tip to melting point plus.......... the pill is slowing down from the frictional resistance.

I'm no engineer but the article is phooooey.

The airframe is maintaining speed and frictional heating because it's powered. A pill isn't.

Now, if someone invented a self powered pill, that would totally change the dynamics of long range shooting.

Imagine, a long range rifle with no recoil whatsoever capable of accurate shot placement only limited by optics or fuel capacity. Wanna shoot 3 miles, no issue. 5 miles, no issue except maybe the tip melting.................

Ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes and if it does, normal folks won't be able to afford it.

I'd say the pill would be warmer than ambient but then only the intended target (if animal) would 'feel' the heat........
Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Just threw that out, I have no idea how long at speed it would take to get to that temp or even what temp a bullet hits from friction in the barrel. I did "I think" read an article about berger bullets and the need to thicken the jackets so the lead would not liquefy/melt on some of their bullets.
Maybe some engineering types can fill us in.