Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Burger Bullets BC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Burger Bullets BC?

Anyone out there ever had issues with Burger bullets published BC not being as advertised?

I was going to try some VLD's in my 6.5X284 and a friend of mine is saying that when ever he has shot Burgers he has found the BC to be "Optimistic" (droping quite a bit faster than the b-program says they should)

I know that balistic programs are not always exact but mine has always ben close so I figured I'd see if others have experienced the same thing.

How close are your your actual results with burgers to what the computer says it should be?

Any info/experiance, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Burger Bullets BC?

I've had no problem with Berger BC's being right on the money, if I'm off I blame the crony, they lie Berger has made some changes in the past couple three years to BC's so as to more accurately reflect actual numbers.
There are a lot of other inputs that can mess up a ballistics program and make one value look bad or better than reality.

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Berger's BCs are very good, but there's no such thing as a truly "accurate" BC listed by any manufactor; it'll be different when you measure it yourself. The problem is, they change, depending on the environmental factors and the location. They provide a starting point, but actually (and acurately) reflect the results recorded when and where the bullets were tested, and corrected back to standard metro or ICAO conditions.

You might also consider that there's always some degree of variation in BC from one lot to the next, and minor changes that result from firings in different rifles, twist rates, etc.. Minor, but still measurable, and will play a part in the final results. On top of that, is the G1/G7 issue, especially with streamlined bullets like most of the Berger line. If you measure the bullet against the G1 standard, the farther apart your firing conditions are from those of the original testing, the further off your results will be. Shouldn't be as much of an issue with the G7, since it follows the model.

Bryan's around here fairly regularly, and he'll be able to provide you with a better explanation than I. After all, he's the one who did the firing tests, and I'm sure he'll share his insights with you.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Berger b.c.'s are as close as you can get. As mentioned above, the environment may be different where you shoot but you can use JBM's trajectory program and be right on the money.....Rich