Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullets (SMK, Scirocco, Partition, etc.)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2002, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullets (SMK, Scirocco, Partition, etc.)

Troy, M.
I have noticed some tiny dents or marks on some of the prototypes but can't say that about the production bullets. I have shot several boxes of each caliber and bullet weight (matter of fact I shot the groups that they use in most of their ads). Don't doubt what you are saying, just never saw marks that were as noticeable as you are mentioning.
I have seen the bullet design come a long way. Matter of fact I still have some .30 cal Sciroccos that have yellow and bright blue tips on them, rather than black, as well as some other weird configurations.
They are very accurate bullets and have consistently retained over 80% over a wide variety of impact velocities on bear, deer and pigs.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

Very accurate even at long range? I have read some posts on this board that say otherwise, Ian. That they dropped off several feet short of SMK's at extreme ranges. I would be interested in hearing about any results that you might have had with them. At one time I was considering using them for a hunting round. All Swift products that I have looked at seemed as beutiful as anyone else's, to include Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, ect. ect..
Old 09-20-2002, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Accuracy is a very subjective thing - hate to say it but the big variable is usually the trigger-puller. I shot some of the first Sciroccos made out to 500 yards through a very good shooting .300 Win. mag. Drops compared to the 180 Matchking were slightly less at 500, 1 moa to be exact. This proves nothing, as 500 is not very far and this was only one test (Lee Reed and I killed 10 wild pigs down in Texas and re-shot them at one hundred yard intervals out to 500 yards with the Sciroccos and some of the competition).
I shot them out to 700 last year in preparation for hunting season and had excellent accuracy through that particular .308 rifle - some three shot groups were under four inches. Five shot groups held 5-7 inches if the wind was down.
Are they an accurate bullet? Same question goes for Grand Slams, Partitions, Failsafes, Trophy Bonded - whatever. They are all very well manufactured bullets, competition is so tight that they have to be. Unfortunately each of our rifles will determine which is the most "accurate" bullet.
We started out discussing a grungy bunch of Sciroccos that hopefully are not indicative of Swift production quality. I sincerely hope that such bullets are not their present standard.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

I think an accident must have happend. Last time I talked to the guys at Swift, they seemed very determind to have the best product available. Your post may just get me to try them next summer! A little to late for this season, it starts in less than 2 weeks. Hope you get a chance to try them at longer ranges. I think it was Daryl who had a post about testing them against SMK's at much longer ranges in excess of 1000 yards. It was posted that they fell several feet short of where the Kings hit.