Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullets for Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Re: Bullets for Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
What ranges are you planning to shoot? What is the twist rate of your barrel?

Steve
Out to 500yds according to my guide. I'm able to work up past that distance at my range.

Unread 03-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
What ranges are you planning to shoot? What is the twist rate of your barrel?

Steve
I forgot to say, I'm shooting an FN PBR XP in 1:10 twist.
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
Out to 500yds according to my guide. I'm able to work up past that distance at my range.
My go to hunting bullet is the GS Custom hv. The 160g hv will run 3200fps out of your 300 wsm. With a .401 bc and a 300yrd zero you will 7.6 moa drop at 600yrds with a 4.4 moa ful value 10 mph wind. Still running at 1950 fps.

My experience with the bullets is that it has less meat damage than any other bullet I have used and kills very fast at long or short range.

If you go this route, use GS's load data. They do not use conventional data. They are a little different critter than conventional bullets.

Let me know if I can help.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

If you are only shooting a max of 500 yds. there are a lot of good bullets to choose from but I would choose one that is well constructed that shoots well in your rile. By well constructed I mean bonded, partition or monos. etc. The Bergers are good at longer ranges but I would not personally recommend them on elk at the closer ranges. Ya, they will kill in dramatic fashion given the right hit but with the wrong hit at close range you might get a roast but the rest will get away My opinion......Rich
Unread 03-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
If you are only shooting a max of 500 yds. there are a lot of good bullets to choose from but I would choose one that is well constructed that shoots well in your rile. By well constructed I mean bonded, partition or monos. etc. The Bergers are good at longer ranges but I would not personally recommend them on elk at the closer ranges. Ya, they will kill in dramatic fashion given the right hit but with the wrong hit at close range you might get a roast but the rest will get away My opinion......Rich
+1....
Unread 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I have never shot Bergers at game at close range but I would agree with Rich, that a highly frangible bullet (Amax also) might damage a lot of meat or not perofrm as hoped. Having said that, the 210 won't have a real high MV out of a 300 WSM. I do prefer controlled expansion bullets because I believe their results are a little more predictable and reliable.
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

A-max is not a hunting bullet. Tried it anyways and it just doesn't knock animal down at close range(30 cal A-max going over 2500fps impact on elk and muley) Guessing it does much better between 2500- 1800fps. Assuming it due to many reviews I have read.