close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullets for Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Bullets for Elk

Scott,

I was going through the same thing as you with my 300 WSM. What's the best bullet? As others have already said, what bullet shoots the best?

I don't reload, so I sent my WSM off to a buddy who does, for some load developement. The 185 gr Berger VLD is where he started. He called me the other day and said he already has a copuple of different loads thats pounding 'em in there on top of one another. Initial velocities are 2,940-2,950 fps.

I cannot speak from experience, as I have never shot at or taken game with a Berger, but I will not hesitate taking the final load with the 185 VLD's out for an elk hunt. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Wbygunner
    Unread 03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
    Platinum Member

Well guys I guess I'll have to be the first on this thread to put my money on the Barnes, not to take anything from the other two; as stated previously in this thread, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I started with the 180 MRX out of my 7.82 Patriot at 3100fps, shoots bug hole groups an puts SERIOUS hurt on every animal i've taken with it.... opens quicker than a Partition, retains more weight than a Fail Safe. I actually have a box of 210 VLD's I was going to experiment with but I can't honestly find the time to do it; i've got a great load that shoots straight & hits hard, so the VLD's are kinda on the "if I get bored someday" list... but I do have them

Unread 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor

What ranges are you planning to shoot? What is the twist rate of your barrel?

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Unread 03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
    Silver Member

Barne is good too, just range limited compared to VLD and accubond.

Accubonds are more consistent in passthrough than VLD. VLD sends more energy into an animal. Both are very good elk round, depends on what the hunter wants for performance. Both of 'em should easily break a bull shoulder.

If both (200 grain accubond & heavy VLD) are accurate, I would flip a coin. LOL

Another thing is VLD won't expand (delayed expansion) for a few inches upon impact. About 3", after that it does massive damage.
    Unread 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
    Silver Member

can't beat Nosler's Partitions in any weight. I shoot the Barnes TSX 180 in my .308 and it is really accurate and provides excellent expansion and weight retention.
    Dano
    Unread 03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
    Platinum Member

Just about any hunting bullet out of a 300 WSM should work fine as long as you dont exceed its limitations.

I would choose the 180 E-Tip before the TSX because it has a higher BC and it's a tougher bullet. It also shoots at higher velocities from my 300 WSM.

Accuracy would be my first discriminator. Other than accuracy my choices in order would be...

180 E-Tip
    200 AB
    180 AB
    210 Berger
    208 Amax
    180 TTSX

If you had a 1:10 twist a GS HV 177 might work. If it did it would be at the top of the list, but it's spendy.
    Unread 03-05-2010, 01:39 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Just about any hunting bullet out of a 300 WSM should work fine as long as you dont exceed its limitations.

I would choose the 180 E-Tip before the TSX because it has a higher BC and it's a tougher bullet. It also shoots at higher velocities from my 300 WSM.

Accuracy would be my first discriminator. Other than accuracy my choices in order would be...

180 E-Tip
    200 AB
    180 AB
    210 Berger
    208 Amax
    180 TTSX

If you had a 1:10 twist a GS HV 177 might work. If it did it would be at the top of the list, but it's spendy.
    That's why I asked about his range and twist. 9.5 twist is better for the 177 GS. I'm running them out of 1-10, but at 3660fps. They will run fine out a 10 twist for work beyond 500yrds. Inside 500 they may tumble on impact.

If the OP's out side range is 600 -700 yrds, the GS 160 hv will be tough to beat for terminal performance and trajectory.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.