Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullets, Ballistics, and Theories Discussion Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Re: Bullets, Ballistics, and Theories Discussion Thread

Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

The above is Erik Steker's announcement of the new 7mm bullet that for those of us of us that do not know what a "G7 form factor of 850" means this new bullet is the slickest on the planet.

This seems to fall in with OP's theory that a long sleek small caliber should perform well against a 338 210gr scirocco or interbond 225gr. Rifles could be a 7 rem mag against a 338 win mag, or a 7rum against a 340 weatherby.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

Thread tag.....
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

well since ya asked and asked again...........my caliber choices are simply personal, and are my opinion only and for where I live and what I hunt and what may hunt me

6.5's will do everything 270's and 7mm's can do with lighter bullets and do it better
30 cals can do it better with heavier bullets
338 heavies in big cases ? well .... now you're talking AND making sense
375 heavies in big cases ? a whole hell of a lotta fun and power WAY out there
416's are for sheer doses of manageable power for the really big critters up close and a few hundred steps out

honorable mentions for the 6mm's but again... can do with 6.5's

270's and 7mm's are not something I would build on or buy as I have far too much bullet stock in the other cals to start with something that will not give me any performance improvements

in the event if I won or was given anything in those cals it would quickly be rebarreled, sold or traded off

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
BC wraps everything up nicely, and is all you need to consider with the ballistic comparisons here.

Doesn't matter size/cal, or weight. A bullet's BC is either higher or lower than another.

Bullet A, G7 BC @ 3Kfps, ICAO = .295 BULLET WEIGHT 140gr 28cal
Bullet B, G7 BC @ 3Kfps, ICAO = .295 BULLET WEIGHT 180gr 30cal

Stabilization aside, they are equal w/resp to external ballistics, at any range.
The example 180gr bullet does not slow down faster than the example 140gr. If it would, it's BC would reflect this. Same with wind drift.
I was comparing the 180 as a 7mm, not a .30 caliber.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
6.5's will do everything 270's and 7mm's can do with lighter bullets and do it better
I've worked a lot with these and I can get numbers to come out in favor of a 6.5 but when bullets land on game at long range it just don't happen. The 160gr Matrix will bring some new ability but it's not perfected yet for LR hunting but close, a 140gr 6.5 is no match in anything you can launch it in to over come the 270 165/175gr bullet or the 7mm 180/190 gr.