Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullets, Ballistics, and Theories Discussion Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullets, Ballistics, and Theories Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Michael, thank you for your input. I wasn't trying to say anything was better than another, I was trying to subjectively figure out why it is deemed "necessary" for the larger calibers when what was possible 20 years ago with smaller calibers.

Your opinion was excellent and I agree completely, everything has its place. I was simply comparing the 7mm's to the .338's ONLY because that had been brought up on here before, but we never truly got into the meat & taters of WHY? I agree with everything you said. I understand the basic reasons why people choose them, but was curious to the ballistic aide of things.....I would love to see a ballistics gel test with both calibers side x side at that distance. I think that would be cool to see the differences of the 2 terminally at 1500 yards.
Send me some 180 grain (10 or 15 to find where i need to be for velocity) bergers and i will send them into some wet newspaper at a reduced velocity to simulate a 1500 yard impact, i have some 300 grain berger otm i can test side by side. Bigngreen, i still got your 252 CE to test, i SHOULD be able to test them this weekend if the rain ever stops, we are supposed to get 3-4" tomorrow and friday. ( i will use wet newspaper to also compare results with the 180 bergers if someone decides to send me some.)

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post

Another advantage the bigger rifles have is barrel life, a hopped up 7mm will have the throat changing in it and you have to stay with it to keep the ELR accuracy and consistency, the 338's tend to stay very consistent and change slower, you can focus on improving yourself and skills instead of chasing your load or finessing your rifle.
Spoken like a man who has toyed with hot rod calibers. You spend more time adjusting charge loads and seating depths than getting to the long range line. Many say hot rods aren't that bad. It makes wonder how much shooting they actually do. 338RUM, 338 Edge or Lapua life's are short enough but they do offer much slower negative effects. MUCH better than the 300 RUM or 30-378 let alone hot 7mms like the 7RUM. I won't say the STW cause I'm not that familiar with them but can't imagine them being as good as a 300 win mag or 338 edge.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm asking someone to read my theory and discuss why it is or is not plausible and possible. I mentioned all of it just to digress to my theory.
Your discussion is plausible and possible. With all considerations equal, a higher BC bullet (heavier) with equal velocity is also plausible and possible with realistically more consistent results.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, I currently only have target 180 VLD's b/c like an idiot I didn't buy them quick enough before it was too late. When I get a box of the hunting 180 VLD's I'll be glad to send a few for testing. I would send the targets, but they have a thicker jacket and won't expand quite like a hunting VLD will.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Your discussion is plausible and possible. With all considerations equal, a higher BC bullet (heavier) with equal velocity is also plausible and possible with realistically more consistent results.
Ok, so basically if I break it down to....A faster, lighter bullet with near equal BC to a slower heavier bullet, they will impact with similar energy at the same designated distance? You are agreeig that that is both possible and plausable?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Michael, I currently only have target 180 VLD's b/c like an idiot I didn't buy them quick enough before it was too late. When I get a box of the hunting 180 VLD's I'll be glad to send a few for testing. I would send the targets, but they have a thicker jacket and won't expand quite like a hunting VLD will.
Sure thing, send me a PM when you get some, i may try to find a pack of the bullet proof samples with the 180 berger hunting.

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You aren't understanding....I don't care what caliber vs what caliber.....That was merely an example.

I'm asking someone to read my theory and discuss why it is or is not plausible and possible. I mentioned all of it just to digress to my theory.

Also, bigger bullets, while heavier and harder to move from wind drift, also posses a larger cross-section which would make them more succeptible to wind or rain or moisture in the atmosphere. Isn't that also correct?
I understand, but I used those examples because I know what they do and though you would get the underlying current despite using specific examples.

You really have to look at BC the big 300gr has a .419 G7 BC and the 180 has a .337 G7 BC, you can push the smaller bullet hard enough to kinda stay with or even for the short run surpass the bigger one but velocity fades fast and it take a lot of it to make up for short BC but in the end the BC wins plus when it lands it has the weight and momentum that give it terminal performance past the smaller one.
Thee only area the smaller bullet wins sometimes is in elevation but elevation is the easiest variable to account but wind will kick your BUTT but this is where BC trumps velocity and gains you some wiggle room on your windage. The little bullet can also win if you compare a 180 Berger to a big Partition or ballistic brick as it's known, but compare the best of the best will give you relevant info.
There is a point and range you can kinda get the results your looking for BUT you have to run the smaller bullets at the edge of insanity and you will usually end up having to run an even poorer ballistic choice because the good bullets won't hack the speed.

Bryan Litz's book Applied Ballistics, get it

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"