Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

bulletflight2.0 ballistic software vs x-ball from night force

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Bronze Member

bulletflight2.0 ballistic software vs x-ball from night force

hello all
i was wondering if anyone has tried this knight armament bulletflight software for the ipod touch or iphone??? i have a pda and was going to get the xball program from night force but now im interested in this software too.
any info helps

Last edited by yzm19; 03-12-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Re: bulletflight2.0 ballistic software vs x-ball from night force

just got my ipod touch and bullet flight app and am pretty wrapped as user freindly and has all i need and more.At this stage highly recommened!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 AM
SPONSOR

I've been in contact with the developer of the iPhone app. He's very diligent and has done everything possible to insure the accuracy of the solution. I don't own an iPhone, but I've been paying attention to feedback on this app. Users seem very happy with the interface and accuracy.

One of the ideas that I like about the iPhone apps is their 'update-ability'. My understanding is that once you've shelled out the ~$12 or whatever it costs for the app, you can download all future updates for free. For example when BC's in the library change for any brand's bullets (which the developer is tuned into), or when new capabilities become available (like spin drift and coriolis for example) you can take advantage of these new features and always have the latest version. To my knowledge, this isn't possible with conventional software for PC's or PDA's (I think Patigonia's LoadBase has free updates but as a rule most don't).

I hope this info is useful,
Good luck,
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Bryan:
Do you think this is as good as a Dell /w exbal?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 PM
SPONSOR

BH,
To be honest I have no experience with exbal so I can't comment on a comparison. I can only vouch for the accuracy of the bulletFlight app.

There's plenty of computational horsepower in modern hand held devices (phones and PDA's) to produce accurate solutions for ballistic trajectories. As long as the program is written properly (which I believe is the case for bulletFlight).

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Bryan:
I am new to the long range shooting but jumping in w/ both feet. I am just converting from a barnes shooter to your Bergers. That was tough to do. My barnes have knocked down quite a few elk for me and never let me down but I hear great things about the bergers.
Take care,
Brad
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

I have just purchased the Night Force x-ball targeting software for the Palm version. I am having a difficult time getting it to track across the velocity and yardage range that i am shooting out to. I have cronographed to obtaim muzzle velocity and have entered in all the bullet data and ambient atmospheric conditions from the Krestel and gps. I have also from JBM figured BC over the velocity range. Only thing here though is the furthest velocity range is estimated. Any way is there some one who can give me a detailed sequencial way i should be going about this? Thanks for the help.