Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullet tip modification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Bullet tip modification

What would be the draw backs to modifying a SGK from a soft point to a HP? Am I correct that I could seat the bullets ogive closer to the lands and still be mag length? Do I need a soft point for deer, elk and black bear? (or would a HP be a bad idea?) How much would this affect the BC if I only went to the top of the copper jacket?

Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet tip modification

Basically you can just buy a Speer grand slam and save yourself the trouble of cutting an filing. You lose about 0.08 of the BC by flattening the nose.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Buff, i'm curious where you came up with the .08 number. it seems like there would be more of a deduction than that.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Speer manual #10

308 cal 150 and 165 gr mag tip and grand slam vs spitzer. can be over 0.1 for the heavier bullets . So in a way you are right. Can be higher or lower.

Don't know if they still manufactur these bullets but recognized the profile from 4ked horns drawing
Old 01-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

With the fact being stated that the BC loss is minimal then I'd go for it if you like the way the bullet performs .
I'm not sure where but I read some plac one time that the basic ledad tipped bullets loose their tip after about 100 feet of flight anyway due to the heat build up being higher than the melting point of lead
I though this was kinda BS because if that were so then at about 200 yds you would have a copper cup full of liquid lead !! , I don't think they took into account that modern bullets are not pure lead

But hell if you like your current bullets performance then sure file the point off , but I personaly woulden't go through the trouble of making it a hollow point
Old 01-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

At 600yds the reduction in BC will give you a velocity reduction of about 200fps. Winddrift will be increased by 6-8 inches. Any increase in accuracy from getting closer to the lands will be lost in the susceptibility to the wind and possibly bullet imbalance. All of this is so you can use your magazine and have avavilable a second and third shot? It seems to me you are trading three inaccurate shots for one accurate shot.

Other consideration is all of this grinding of lead. With young children around, lead dust and shavings and filings need to need to be avoided at home. CDC has lowered the blood lead levels for children to about 10ug/dl and there are still adverse effects at this level.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

JD The bullet melting thing is a myth. If you held a torch on the tip of a bullet for 2 seconds which is a longer than normal "time of flight" it would not melt away. There is no way the air will get that hot that fast.

Making it a hollow point is easier than filing the tip off.