close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

BULLET TEST COMPARISON (as promised)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BULLET TEST COMPARISON (as promised)

Two constants in both tests (media) are that the Bergers and Sierras tumble when they don't expand and the Sherman and noslers expand and usually continue on straight which is what I have experienced in past tests. It seems that the Bergers either blow or don't expand (not much in between). The Sierras are more difficult to get to expand than the Bergers and usually shed the jacket when they do expand but not as violent as the Berger. Im going to have to work on a larger tank. It appears that one would need at least 5' of water, especially for the non expanded bullets (maybe more)? I'd like to find an old culvert and weld up the ends with a boot (window to shoot through) I may try some of that material that absorbs many times its weight in H20.( It creates a jell like substance.) Suggestions welcome!.........Rich

Unread 04-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

If you will remember, I once shot a 115 gr 6mm Berger all the way through two live adult hogs and that included a lot of impacts on bone. By the time it exited there were bullet fragments everywhere in the rearmost hog. Bergers behave peculiarly!

P.S.
You are getting much better at focusing the camera before taking the picture.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
If you will remember, I once shot a 115 gr 6mm Berger all the way through two live adult hogs and that included a lot of impacts on bone. By the time it exited there were bullet fragments everywhere in the rearmost hog. Bergers behave peculiarly!

P.S.
You are getting much better at focusing the camera before taking the picture.
Bob......what was the approximate velocity?
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be my life on it, but I have read and would believe; the smaller the diameter of the bullet, the less reliable expansion. At least for some bullet designs. And I could believe that with the Berger VLD. Plastic-tipped or aluminum-tipped bullets would be less influenced by bullet diameter.

Which is why I'm glad to see you're testing .308 diameter bullets rather than .224, .243, or .257 bullets.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I wouldn't be my life on it, but I have read and would believe; the smaller the diameter of the bullet, the less reliable expansion. At least for some bullet designs. And I could believe that with the Berger VLD. Plastic-tipped or aluminum-tipped bullets would be less influenced by bullet diameter.

Which is why I'm glad to see you're testing .308 diameter bullets rather than .224, .243, or .257 bullets.
I agree with the diameter thing. The smaller frontal area (lower sectional density) don't exert as much force at the same velocity. Thats why I felt the 200 gr. Nosler had a slight advantage over the lighter bullets of the same caliber when traveling at equal velocity. Thanks for the comment!
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Most of the guys I know last year shot Bergers, we had 243's shooting 105's, 25-06 with 115's, 270 WSM with 140's, 300 WSM with 190's and 300 WBY with 210's. Most ranges were in the 300-400 yrd.
The 105 Bergers were awesome, took 10ish deer or antalope all got there clocks cleaned from all angles and all exited with a baseball size hole and goo in between. Also punch a 289 bull elk through the shoulder at 123 yrds, bullet went though the shoulder, devastated a 10-12 in section of spine and we found the jacket under the of shoulder, he dropped like a sack of potatoes.
The 25 cal 115 Bergers were only used on a few antalope on a couple deer, they did not perform as consistent as the 243's. If they opened they worked but some of the guys had some not open. I have a 250 AI that's getting 115's with R17 this year, we'll see how many deer tags it can fill.
270 WSM with the 140's only took a cow elk cause I also shot the 140 Accubond which took the deer. It functioned flawlessly on the elk, good enough that it's all I'm loading for that rifle! I will fill all tags next year with it, so I should have a good sample group, starting with bear in a couple weeks.
The 300 WSM with the 190's took several elk and deer and it function almost flawless, with the deer 1 out of 10 wouldn't quite get opened requiring a second but if any bone was hit it would function.
The 210's out of the 300WBY had the poorest function of all, only mule deer were shot with it and I suspect it would be real good on thicker elk. All deer shot with it required 2 or more because of nothing opening and and you had to hit heavy bone to get them to set of.
Out of all of them the 243 was the most unbelievable, they just drop game. The 25 cal seemed to struggle the 270 was a small sample so we'll see, the 30 cal were the least predictable but most shot. This is just what we saw on game between me and my friends and a bunch of other guys at work.
The plan next season is to shoot the 270 WSM with 140's in the 600-800yrd range, load up 115's in a 250AI and 185's in the 300WBY and one of the guys started shooting HSM ammo in his 300 win with 185's. I'm going to work harder on documenting the hits next year, I need to get a better camera that can handle the cold.
Take it for what it's worth, it might make 2 cents.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Range was 550 yards and impact velocity would have been right on 2400 fps. Same bullet opens well on deer and antelope at ranges from 150 yards to 1140 yards (1600 fps).