close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

BULLET TEST COMPARISON (as promised)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BULLET TEST COMPARISON (as promised)

I go to the Corbin site every once in a while, I could seriously kill the balance of a major credit card on that site. I really dig the looks of the bullets you squeezing out also. Looking forward to more of you work!!
    Unread 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM
    Platinum Member

I've never used a Hornady A-Max before for anything, because I've had some problems with accuracy of some of Hornady's Interbonds and other models of bullets in the past. But I've read too often to dismiss, that the A-Maxs are an accurate bullet, and very frangible. Since I'm a two bullet user - one for long range shots and one for the close range ugly-bear-in-the-face chip-shots - I believe I will give them a whirl. With their plastic coned 'ballistic-tip-styled' tips, they should open even more reliably than Bergers VLD at the longer range, lower velocities - I THINK.

Anyhow, I've heard of others using them for long range low velocity impacts on game. I'm gonna try to round up a box of .284 162gr A-Max and try them in my 280 Improved. If I get an accurate load, I may try them this spring on LR black bear.

I define LR distance & impact velocity as starting around 4-500 yds on out, partially because I don't take the time to finesse an ultra accurate load for the controlled expansion bullet loads that I prepare for short range use. I've found that most any premium bullet is good-enough, accuracy wise, for shots from the muzzle out to around 400 yds. Since I spend a LOT more time developing my long range loads, I have a much more confidence with them and they fly with less wind drift starting around 400 yds on out.

Unread 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
    I like it! I just bought a poly barrel yesterday to do some testing. I probably won't get that sophisticated yet but hope to at least get started and build something permanent later. I'm not surprised that the Bergers blew at that velocity. My plan is to fill the barrel with water (upright) and suspend a fine mesh at the bottom to extract the bullets. I'm not worried about the high velocity loads but am concerned about the 1800' ones going thru the bottom of my barrel. I will probably put a steel plate in the bottom for that reason. I have effectively used carpet to catch bullets in the past once the velocity has slowed and expansion has taken place. It works kind of like a bullet proof vest. We'll See I plan on putting a loose fitting lid over the barrel with a small window to shoot through so I don't catch a face full of water! I will probably put a gap between the lid and barrel to release pressure sideways. PRAY!.....Rich
    Please Video the whole process

BigBuck
    Unread 04-09-2010, 06:07 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
    I've never used a Hornady A-Max before for anything, because I've had some problems with accuracy of some of Hornady's Interbonds and other models of bullets in the past. But I've read too often to dismiss, that the A-Maxs are an accurate bullet, and very frangible. Since I'm a two bullet user - one for long range shots and one for the close range ugly-bear-in-the-face chip-shots - I believe I will give them a whirl. With their plastic coned 'ballistic-tip-styled' tips, they should open even more reliably than Bergers VLD at the longer range, lower velocities - I THINK.

Anyhow, I've heard of others using them for long range low velocity impacts on game. I'm gonna try to round up a box of .284 162gr A-Max and try them in my 280 Improved. If I get an accurate load, I may try them this spring on LR black bear.

I define LR distance & impact velocity as starting around 4-500 yds on out, partially because I don't take the time to finesse an ultra accurate load for the controlled expansion bullet loads that I prepare for short range use. I've found that most any premium bullet is good-enough, accuracy wise, for shots from the muzzle out to around 400 yds. Since I spend a LOT more time developing my long range loads, I have a much more confidence with them and they fly with less wind drift starting around 400 yds on out.
    I think you are absolutely correct in your assumption that the A-Max will expand at lower velocities! I was also interested in your comment "defining long range". I was going to post on that very subject because I think it can mean anything over 300 for some folks and over 800 for others? IMO 400 yards might even be a little close for the A-Max, at least on elk size. If I get a chance I'll try to test some (don't have any right now other than for my 6.5. I didn't get to far with my barrel/H20 test but have a couple of interesting results to post later this P.M.........Rich
    Unread 04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
    Platinum Member

More good stuff from Rich>>>

...Tried a "Jed Clampett" water barrel test today with marginal results. I was afraid the depth wouldn't be enough in a 55 gal. drum and for the most part, it wasn't ! I placed a 1/4" steel plate in the bottom so I didn't drain the barrel the first shot. Good thing because the first shot was with the Sierra which went through everything and bounced off the steel! Next shot was with the Berger which came completely unglued in the H20. Next was the SXR which broke the mushroom off either going through the mat or just contacting the plate. The last bullet in the picture was my first attempt at a 190 partition (B.C. around .700). This was fired into my cardboard media at full throttle (2850 with my '06) If I can perfect this one, it could have a lot of potential for long range as well as hold up close in...

Unread 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM
    Platinum Member

Good stuff is right. Bingo on the Berger VLD. Poof! Like pixie dust.

Thanks for sharing the test results and photos.
    Unread 04-09-2010, 09:15 PM
    Platinum Member

It also looks like the Sierra hit bottom sideways, it must have tumbled. That Berger just turns to a mangler! Good stuff man!