close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

BULLET TEST COMPARISON (as promised)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BULLET TEST COMPARISON (as promised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
If you are losing sleep, pacing the floor late at night and mumbling to yourself you can try reading this article.

Terminal Ballistics

Even though he an engineer is from the cow college in Alabama i.e. the one with the substandard football team, he does a fairly good job of staying with the fundamentals. In it is a paragraph on spin and he pretty well summarizes my own opinions. Lots off people say lots of things about FMJ but few people actually know what they are talking about. He also understand game bullet stability.

You can also ponder his opinions on hitting bone as opposed to gelatin.

While I don't agree with everything, it is at least worth reading and thinking about. He has updated the stuff since I last read it so I read most of it again today.

If you enjoy smacking wet paper with bullets then you can read the companion piece.

Terminal Ballistics

If you like B movies you can go too his home page. I have a fondness for low budget scream queen and post-apocalyptic movies.
Whew! that was some heavy reading! I actually found myself agreeing with the portions that I could understand. He makes a lot of good sense but I don't pretend to be at the same level of understanding as this guy. I guess the best part was that the practical part of what he said I have observed, for the most part, in the field. Thanks for the material........Rich

Unread 04-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
If you are losing sleep, pacing the floor late at night and mumbling to yourself you can try reading this article.

Terminal Ballistics

Even though he an engineer is from the cow college in Alabama i.e. the one with the substandard football team, he does a fairly good job of staying with the fundamentals. In it is a paragraph on spin and he pretty well summarizes my own opinions. Lots off people say lots of things about FMJ but few people actually know what they are talking about. He also understand game bullet stability.

You can also ponder his opinions on hitting bone as opposed to gelatin.

While I don't agree with everything, it is at least worth reading and thinking about. He has updated the stuff since I last read it so I read most of it again today.

If you enjoy smacking wet paper with bullets then you can read the companion piece.

Terminal Ballistics

If you like B movies you can go too his home page. I have a fondness for low budget scream queen and post-apocalyptic movies.
Thank you for stopping the pacing. I was wearing a path in the floor.

I have read him before. I read the entire "Shooting Holes in the Wounding Theory"

Perhaps worry is not the correct word. Lack of stability because of insufficient spin or bullet shape can cause unpredictable tumbling causing an unknown path after impact. The following is a quote from the essay.

Bullet construction is the most important factor because it will determine whether the stresses of impact allow the bullet to overcome the resistivity of the target. In other words, is the bullet tough enough to survive the impact and penetrate, or will it shatter, and if so, how far will the fragments penetrate? Advances in metallurgical processing of bullets have made contemporary designs superior to anything used in the last century, giving small-bore bullets the effectiveness of huge lead balls. The target material will greatly affect the selection of bullet material, but in general, toughness (malleability) is more important than hardness. Other features, such as bonded cores and tapered or partitioned jackets permit greater penetration by controlling the expanded presented area and retaining bullet mass.
Bullet shape is next in importance because a pointed bullet which does not deform becomes unstable at impact velocities of interest and will not penetrate as deeply as a flat-nosed or round-nosed bullet of the same weight and velocity.

Steve

PS Every hunter should read Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories.

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

I am posting Rich's boolit pictures for him while he gets it all figured out.

Left to right.... 200 AB, 190 Sherman, 210 Sherman, 225 Sherman and 260 Sherman.

Rich promised a box of the 225's for posting these pictures

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 04-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Mark! I should have some more soon. I did some more testing today with some VERY interesting results......Rich
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Just noticed that the bullet pictures with the quarter didn't have a caption. They are as follows: Left to right: 200 Nosler Accubond, 190, 210, 225, 260 Sherman XR's
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Bump, looking forward to more test results
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

OK... Here are some more bullet test result pictures from Rich.