Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullet test a bust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Bullet test a bust

I decided I would test out some of the 265gr Henson Aluminum Tip bullets on some TX hill country does. Well I got the does, but not much else. I shot the does at 806, 818, and 836 yards. I wanted to try some longer range shots but the wind was gusting up to 28 mph.

All animals were DRT.

Unfortunately while we were eating dinner with the guide, the staff not only dressed the animals, but also basically deboned them before I could get any photos of the wound channels. I was expecting to get back and find deer hanging instead found them in bags ready for the trip home.
I did manage to get one photo of the exit on one of the does. Entrance was through one shoulder exit was just in font of the off shoulder.

I hit one of the does while slightly quartering to me, and lost the shot in the wind. The bullet hit about 4 inches back of the shoulder, basically your classsic gut shot. She still flopped. There was a small exit wound in the off side ham, where it looks like part of the bulle exited even at that angle. I didnt notice the exit and thought I would be able to recover the bullet, but was only able to find one small fragment. I assume the rest of the bullet was there somewhere, but never got the chance to examine the gut pile.

The guy who did he skinning quartering etc was impressed with the damage the bullets did, not so much with the gut shot.

The best thing about the trip was the wife finally got her first buck....and her second, and third pics of her deer to come. The worst thing was that I let the wife use my 243AI and she missed 3 deer the first afternoon. I forgot to dial the scope back down from some 1K crow shooting....well attempted shooting. I was in the dog house there for a while.

Anyway sorry to let you guys down. I know some want some independant testing done with these bullets, sorry I cant give you more info. I definately wouldnt be too worried about these bullets penciling through.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet test a bust

Glad you had a good time. 800+ yards is some nice shooting.

In case you left before my last post, we will shoot a match at Quantico on January 4.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 PM
PUBLISHER

Let's see....

Three bullets, 3 dead deer at 800+ yards. I guess they work!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Let's see....

Three bullets, 3 dead deer at 800+ yards. I guess they work!
Plus the Barry O'Connors Montana elk, and my five test specimens (deer) with two different calibers. That is a total of nine aniimals all taken at various ranges with one shot using the HATS........... Yep, they work just fine......... ;)

Lightvarmint

Last edited by Lightvarmint; 12-23-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 PM
SPONSOR

Congradulations Eddybo glad you had a good hunt!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Hey Eddybo,

That's some good shootin'. Looks like that bullet works just fine. Congratulations to your wife also, you might as well get her started in F-class now.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM
SPONSOR

eddybo,
Good shooting and I am glad the bullets did their job.
What cartridge are you using?