Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullet Terminal Performance Test - Want In?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

???

Hey hey hey, you shoot the elk first THEN go buy the tag;).
I really dont see the point in turning a pig into swiss cheese just because, sounds childish.
But video taping it so everyone can think all hunters are like this is a GREAT idea(insert sarcasm here). It took me about 2 shots to realize the power my 300rum had, a real no brainer.
Id rather pop-em and then sit over him as coyote bait in some out of the way location for a week.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

robbor,

It's not just because. It's a legitimate test of bullets on an animal that is going to be killed and wasted for a reason that hasn't been explained and doesn't need to be explained from my perspective. I don't think the pig will mind after it's dead, and it's not being killed for this purpose. Anyone else that gets their dander up over this won't have their opinions changed one way or the other anyhow - they've already crossed over into the useless zone.

I'm pretty sure the farmer isn't going to waste his pig if it has value as an edible hog, but I'm don't demand an explanation. I say swiss cheese it in the effort to help ensure we're using the most effective bullets available for humane kills in our long range hunting. Doesn't mean my opinion is any more or less valid than your's though.

Roy,

I think the carcass should still be warm for the most representative test results. A cold carcass will probably be a bit different than the warm carcass.

Last edited by phorwath; 08-01-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

About the pig.

His days are over. He is no longer useful for breeding. Nor is he good for eating. No sale ring would take him. An 800# boar has a reasonable amount of the wrong chemicals/hormones circulating. It is said that he could be "cut" then fed out for a couple of months and the farmer has put the pencil to that. The cost of corn and soy beans is way to high to risk it. If cutting then feeding would make the meat edible, the going price would be less than $0.20 per pound. Even using live weight that would be $60.00 income to cover about 3 times that in feed. There ain't no western farmer (note not a tree hugger hobby farmer) gonna do that.

As I said above, he's gonna 22 it then bury it in the back pasture which is legal if its your animal and your property. I'm going to purchase the pig alive and haul it and pay him for his effort. Then the 22 and bullet testing follows.

All sensible, legal and useful.

BTW, it doesn't take much driving around the local desert to see the dead horses, goats, sheep etc that were pets or otherwise useful to people. Due to the cost of feed and no butcher market for horses, they are bloated all over the desert.

Now that's a shame!

BTW, it will be warm. Temp will be in the 80s. Testing will be completed with maybe 30 minutes. I'll even track internal temperature trends if ya want. But don't tell mamma that what her meat thermometer is being used for.;)
Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Roy, could we get the blue collar comedy team up there for some material? i can't even imagine what they would come up with if all this is done in front of them.

with this experiment you're gonna have an awful loafty status in the redneck rankings!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

Which bullets are going to be tested, at what impact velocity? I might have some here if needed.

I think it's a valid test, providing you take into consideration the shoulder shield on a boar.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Roy,
If the test proceeds the most important tool you could utilize is a metal detector. I have recovered a lot of bullets from wild hogs and the metal detector makes it very simple and quick.
Good luck with your venture. You also need some pill containers or small ziplocks to place the recovered bullets in, make sure you keep good notes so they do not get mixed up.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

Brilliant!

PM Sent!