Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullet Selection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Bullet Selection?

[QUOTE=Nimrodmar10;741198]

If you're wanting to anchor the deer in place, you don't have to blow big holes. All you have to do is break down their drive train. Do like the TV shows do and shoot them high through both shoulders. DRT. The shoulder bone fragments do your work for you. It also takes out the arteries above the heart and both lungs. Bullet doesn't even have to exit.

There's your answer!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Why?

Do you just want to make a bloody mess or just waste meat?

If you're wanting to anchor the deer in place, you don't have to blow big holes. All you have to do is break down their drive train. Do like the TV shows do and shoot them high through both shoulders. DRT. The shoulder bone fragments do your work for you. It also takes out the arteries above the heart and both lungs. Bullet doesn't even have to exit.

If you're trying to compensate for bad shooting, just practice more.
That is the gospel I live by. Shoot em high in the shoulder and they drop like a bag of bricks. I just shot a 270 plus pound whitetail in Wisconsin, he would have scored over 200 inches but broke 2 beams, he scored 183 3/8. I shot him high in the shoulder at 128 yards with Nosler BST 150 grain. He dropped like he got hit with an anvil. When you mention it takes out the arteries about the heart its what causes them to die before they hit the ground.

I haven't shot a deer "behind" the shoulder in years.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

There is no doubt about a high shoulder shot busting them down fast but I personally don't like throwing both shoulders away and deer are not tuff animals like elk. A thin skinned bullet like an A-max or Berger in the 150-180 grain class will put any deer down rather fast with a rib shot (lungs) and you will waist far less meat. If your goal is to just "bowl them over" then go for the shoulder if that's what you want. When I lived in Mi. years ago, I shot a pile of white tails, with 100 grain thin skinned bullets, right in the ribs, with a 25-06 and 90% of them dropped in their tracks. The other 10% only went two or three jumps......Rich