Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

bullet run out on full sized cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

bullet run out on full sized cases

This has problly been hashed over many times in the past but i was wondering what is acceptable for bullet run out in loaded rounds. .0001 .001 .002 I have never checked any of my loads and am building a test stand to do so. They all shoot very good so maybe i shouldn't test them!!!!
-out of sight, out of mind

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: bullet run out on full sized cases

I have been measuring run out for years and I do believe it helps long range accuracy. Using quality brass and dies I can keep run out at around .002 or lower for 80% of my loaded rounds.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Writers Guild

DON'T GO THERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Was driving me insane but is helpful in diagnosing cranky rifles.

I check fired cases and sized cases. In almost all the rifles I own, runout is 0 to 2thou. That is excellent given that my guage has a tolerance of 1 thou error.

I use Lee Collet neck sizing dies whenever I can and cases show no change before and after sizing. No doughnuts either.

however, after seating the bullets, runout AT THE BULLET can increase. The neck/shoulder runout doesn't change though.

Crazy part is that even with runout varying (at the bullet) of one thou to 5 thou, groups are still very small. In fact, the smallest group one rifle ever shot was with the batch of highest bullet runout cases.

So I now keep track of case runout, and forget about the bullet runout unless I start to see problems on the paper.

Right now I am playing with my new 6.5 Mystic 1000mBR rifle. Runout for the cases are pretty much zip. Loaded rds show very low runout but a few cartridges can bump up to 4thou. Groups so far have been bugholes at 200yds using Lapua 139gr Scenars.

I am not going to worry about it anymore...

Jerry
Old 07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Thanks 300win and Jerry,
That is what i kinda thought about the whole thing. I just was going to check and see how accurate my custom dies are.

"Let the good times roll"
Old 07-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

I like to use the "zero's" for the maximum range shots but .001" usually will work ok too. Anything over .003" and I start tearing apart and analyzing my dies. If using regular old RCBS dies, .003 might be a keeper die but custom dies or comp dies are worth the extra money to get the extra .002" better concentricity imho. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

fwiw - I kept trying to set and square my FL die and kept ending up with .002" runout on the case. The Zediker manual had a fix which worked for me. Replace the metal wire which compresses the shellholder with a rubber O-ring ($3.49 for a mixed pack at the auto parts store). The shellholder sort of free floats just a bit and dropped my runout (from that source) to near zero.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

...or just use the shellholder without anything holding it in place with shellholder/ram bearing surfaces clean with a little very light lube on the bearing surfaces.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl