Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullet rotation vs velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Bullet rotation vs velocity

BB, the spin has a lot to do with expansion of the bullet in the animal. it's the centrifugal force helping to bring a bullet apart after it's been compromized. it's why some bullets dust when they clear the barrel, because they can't take the centrifugal force. same thing happens when you hit something and the bullet starts to mushroom. once compromized, it expands much quicker. i've talked to several very experienced long range hunters and they go to faster than needed twist barrels for just this reason. they all said it was to get quicker, more reliable expansion.

Unread 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

You start off where we agree, but then you go down the same path as many other people. A fast twist barrel certainly scores grooves in the bullet jacket and stresses the jacket more than a slower twist barrel. So when such a bullet impacts it may expand more. I said that in the first post. I have two rifles that are slightly faster twist than recommended for the bullets I shoot (one never knows before hand what a rifle will like so another forum member has some very nice, impossible to get anymore, bullets that my rifle didn't like even though it had enough twist).

After that part, you journey along with the others.

I'll remind you of one thing though, you had enough good sense to do your own tests and trust no one. A elk hunting trip for you or me cost $3,000 - $4,000. To have somebody else put up bad data, or make false claims or to just deliver a line of ******** and screw it up, is really irritating.

The guy asked a question that is very complicated and difficult. I showed him the fork in the road. He choose to go down the path that is well worn.

That fine with me. I am only responsible for my own self.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

On the original question of is more twist better?

IMO, you can induce problems by "over" stabilizing a bullet!

First, the faster you spin something the more imperfections will be exaggerated! For instance, no bullet jacket is perfect. The faster you spin the bullet the greater the dispersion that any imbalance will cause.

Second, think of a bullet as a gyroscope. If you try to alter its relationship with its direction of spin, it will resist. The same thing happens as gravity alters its course. The nose of the bullet will tend to yaw more the faster it spins.
A faster spin may help resist wind deflection on the plus side!

Last edited by edge; 08-13-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

as it was explained to me by Bo Clerke, my 22-243 mdlstd. with 1-9 twist pushing a 60 gr.horn. at 3960 was rotating at better than 312,000 he also pointed out to me when i showed him the target, the bullet holes had twin smudges in the direction of twist which he stated was jacket failer from velo.x rotation. i would think that any thing spinning at 312,000 rpm with 3000 fps impact velo. would cause massive tissue disruption whether it made one or two turns is irelevent at impact. just my opinon.