Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

bullet ogive measuring for mile shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: bullet ogive measuring for mile shooting

My only experience this far, was at 1650yds with a 30goodling at a 12-15" gong (never measured it)

took 4 shots plus a fouler to smack it at 1650 on a calm morning 2 winters ago.

shots afterward were within 2' vertically at the worst IIRC--you are definately having transonic issues!

i concur--the 6.5-284 is spectacular to 1K plus a bit, but it isnt a good mile shooter.

JB
Old 12-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Yes ogive variance is a big factor sometimes in LR vertical dispersion.

Check out the JB (John Buhay) Ogive Checker on page 19 of rwharts catalog. Cost is $125 and it is the slickest, fastest and most uniform tool for checking ogive variance. Caliber conversions are $40. 1-800-368-3656

I can do a 1000 bullets in about an hour and half.

Howver, my guess is the 6.5 cannot quite cut the one mile route and be stable.

BH
Old 12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

BH--Buhays tool is nice, but mine is cheaper, and seems to work just as well--> http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/977259.htm

go to the link ans scroll down a bit.

JB
Old 12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Jason

used that one for over two years and found that I was getting up to .003 variance based on "thumb' pressure. Finicky with my heavy fingers. but it sure beat not doing anything.

John's has zero variance with repeated testing.

BH
Old 12-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that this load in my gun shoots deviations in the single digits and that I am shooting one mile at 5000 foot elevation and I can attest that those 140 bergers ARE NOT going subsonic. They may be starting to enter the transonic state, but they are still making a loud "snap" as they go by.
I just returned from my third attempt at one mile and this time, the results were nothing short of amazing. I actually had my friend sit in a trench just shy of the gong as I shot with his radio locked on so I could hear the bullet go past him as I shot and they all went "snap" quite loud. I also shot through a model 35p chronograph while I was aiming at the gong, and every shot that was 15 fps slower than the average landed about 30" low at the mile! I even had one shot that went 40 fps faster for some reason and it landed about 4' higher! Amazing! As for the six-five being a mile shooter, I agree there are better, but it will do it ok. We hit my 15" gong twice in 30 shots, and we had 15 shots miss it by 6"-20" with one six shot group measuring 14x16x19.5". (we had a giant box set up behind the gong so we could see groups that missed). As for the ogive length, I had 10 bullets of each length, one row at .?20, one at .?22 and one at .?24. Each were shot in order and the last row took an extra minute and a half to do what the first row did. So as far as I can tell, a ogive length difference of .004" makes roughly 19"-21" difference at one mile!! For those in doubt, I have noticed this problem at 1500 yards where my bullet is still way supersonic, and it seems to be almost as bad there.
This is just too much fun. I can't wait for the .338 lapua improved to show up this winter so I can try 2000 yards. When or where will it end!

[ 12-05-2004: Message edited by: goodgrouper ]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Bronze Member

Goodgrouper,You mention .004 ogive length tolerance,is this the bearing surface or just the base to ogive??...If 1 bullet is say .600 bc and the others .620 bc which is easy to get because of their exterior shapes then you can guess what happens to the elevation at target..I qualify for weight,AOL,base to ogive at land dia,base to ogive at 2 more dias up the ogive,bearing surface, overall dia and then trim the meplat ...Of all of these checks the most telling on paper is without exception is the bearing surface/meplat trim combo (the easy way)...And yes your right it does not matter if it's 1000 or 1760 yds...If you ever get to run 5 or 10 bullets that are identical enough times to test it will become clear that a usuable tune is more important than a small ES...Uneven projectiles will cause to many variables for you to establish the correct tune in the first place and the correct tune does not always mean the smallest ES in my Guns...JR..Jeff Rogers
Old 12-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Bounty and Mike--seems to just take a bit of practice to work out the thumb pressure problem, i can read the same bullet several times and be within .001 (+-0.0005) every time

YMMV,
JB