Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullet modification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

Bullet modification

I thought I would start a thread on Bullet modification. Some of the larger calibres have a poor selection of long range hunting bullets and a few of us have had a play at modifying bullets to perform better on game.

Here is a batch of bullets that I recently produced. They are .375 calibre 350gn SMK's that have had Corbin tips installed using a lathe.

After much experimenting I found out that the tips must be held in quite solid or accuracy will suffer. Slight misalignment of the tips however did not seem to effect accuracy as much as you would think.

Expansion at distance is greatly improved with these tips and the BC is slightly higher. The weight however ends up being 339gn so they can be driven faster.

I have made a few other modifications to them and will post results when I can.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet modification

I'd love to see a step by step process of how you do that. Very cool
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Kiser View Post
I'd love to see a step by step process of how you do that. Very cool
+1!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Topshot,

I think this thread will get some traction. There are enough folks around here that think a bit outside the box that may well go for this "open architecture" approach.

I don't have the patience to wait for those such as Berger and others to fill a niche that needs to be filled.

Kirby Allen has also done some work with SMKs and Alum tips. He also discovered that a little wobble made little difference in accuracy.

I started my efforts in 270 cal to attempt to fill a gap there.

My thought was to come up with a way that the typical hand loader could do his own repointing if he had access to decent tips.

Corbin's tips are way too large for a 270 cal size bullet. Too much weight is lost.

Thus I came up with a tip design that worked well using brass.

Learned a ton about machining doing this. Also learned that I'm not very good at sharpening cutting tools. Too get the points just right the cutter had to be just right. Frustrating.

As I selfishly have sufficient high bc LR 277 bullets I'll switch to the 375 cal efforts in an attempt to get more weight and higher bc with more consistent terminal performance.

I'll still work with brass tips as the Corbin tips seem too easy.:roll eyes:

Here is a pic resulting from some terminal testing. These were Nosler 270 Ballistic Tips converted to 160 grains with a calculated bc of 0.658. Calculations were done by Eaglet.

The shot well enough to hit the media entrance opening @ 300 yards.

MV was 3650 FPS

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...swithbases.jpg
Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

I am assuming the .277 Ballistic Tip started life as a 150g bullet? Going from an advertised bc of .496 to a calculated bc of .658 is pretty darned impressive! You definitely have my attention!

I know the focus for those of you with large cased .375's will rightly be the 350g SMK, but I am wondering if something similar could be made to work well with the 300g Accubond or even the 300g SGK?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
I know the focus for those of you with large cased .375's will rightly be the 350g SMK, but I am wondering if something similar could be made to work well with the 300g Accubond or even the 300g SGK?
The profile of the bullet needs to be just right for this process. I don't see any advantage of working on a 300gn Accubond as it already has a tip. The 300gn SGK may have some potential but I think it is a bit stubby for this as well.

Another option may be to change the internals of the SMK. By maintaining the outside shape and thinning out the front of the jacket from the inside the bullet maintains its original BC but will perform better on game.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Now all I need is a small miniaturized, affordable lathe!