Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullet jammed in the barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

Bullet jammed in the barrel

Usually when guys start something out by saying "my friend wants to know..." then it's their own problem, particularly if it's an embarrassing one, but in this case it really is a friends problem.

I recall having seen something here on this long ago, but I'm not certain, and I'm having no luck on the search function.

So, a friend tells me he loaded a cartridge (on a single stage no less) and "forgot" the powder. The primer put the bullet just into the rifling and the question is how to get it out.

It seems that he may have created more problems by beating it on one end with a rod and also by drilling and tapping the other (as it's literally just in), but I'm asking for advice as if it's still a bullet in a good condition as a starting point. Any ideas as to how to deal with a messed up bullet are also welcome, but that's a different case altogther I think.

I can't really say how it looks as I haven't seen it. I figure he may need to pull the barrel off to get closer and then ream out the inside, but suggestions are welcome.

It's a 300 WM, bullet is probably a 190 SMK (his favourite)!

Thanks.

WL
Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet jammed in the barrel

WL,

You will need a rod, some black powder, a candle, and a safe place.

PM me for details.

Best,
Noel
Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Please set up a video camera if you do decide to blast it out.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Gold Member

I admit to doing the same thing with my .45ACP several years back. I also admit that I used a solid metal rod and pushed it back out. I wrapped the rod several times with duct tape to try to protect the rifling, and brought in the hammer.... It ended well, but I was very nervous about the barrel until I shot it a few times and it was as accurate as ever.

JeffVN
Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

WL,

It crossed my mind that keeping the details off the board might be more dangerous than posting them. (... especially following the video request )

A general disclaimer;

Do not do this if it does not make you nervous... confined explosives should scare you. If they do not, then Darwinistic principles can come into play, along with the attendant removal of your genetic contribution from the human genotype.

First- Using a 38 Special shell as a measuring device, pour one (1) measure of triple-x black powder down the bore while standing the rifle vertically. An exact weight is not critical, as this is not a precision operation.

Second- Prepare a 30" steel rod, which approximates the bore caliber, by deburring. Run it down the bore with a cotton patch leading. Gently tamp the charge.

Third- Go to a secluded area. Place the rifle, with bolt removed and rod inserted against charge, horizontally between two 100 lb sand bags (can be purchased from any building supply store). Point both the muzzle, and breach, in directions which will not endanger life, or property.

Fourth- A candle will work, but if you are impatient, use a proped, and supported propane tourch to heat the barrel exterior at the location of the powder charge. The removal process will still take about five minutes, so do not return to the rifle to make adjustments once the procedure has been initiated. There will be two, poorly aimed, potentially lethal, projectiles in flight when the powder lights-off. Place yourself behind cover which is adequate to protect you from either should they come your way.

Since your bullet is not far into the rifling, this is more than enough exposive power to remove it... In fact, it is more than needed to extract a 5" lead lap.

Enjoy,
Noel
Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Cool! Let us know how this works if you still have your typing fingers.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Wow! This video is going to be great!!