Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

The thread is closed

Bullet fail...Accubond CT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bullet fail...Accubond CT

I used that bullet in my 270 to take 11 big game animals, 10 pass throughs & sterling performance.
The one bullet I recovered was a large Whitetail that came up a ravine right in front of me. Shot him in the shoulder & lodged in skin on the far Ham. other shots were from 25 yds. to near 300yds.
However, no jugs were shot. It is amazing how a bullet, any bullet will do well for many, but be a disaster for others, from cup & core through TSX, wierd stuff.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

That may be a Winchester spec bullet, I can't find where you can buy just bullets that are CT and Accubond but you can buy Ballistic tip CT's. Also the red tip is not a standard color for a 270 cal so that would be Winchester spec also, wonder if they spec'ed a softer lead but bonded or something like that.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
That may be a Winchester spec bullet, I can't find where you can buy just bullets that are CT and Accubond but you can buy Ballistic tip CT's. Also the red tip is not a standard color for a 270 cal so that would be Winchester spec also, wonder if they spec'ed a softer lead but bonded or something like that.
Good point & I was not clear, mine were Accubond bullets I loaded for my 270
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

The Nosler Accubond (Accubond - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data) is basically the same as the Winchester Accubond CT (http://www.winchester.com/products/r...s/default.aspx) except the CT has lubalox (black oxide) coating.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

I'm jumping in here a little late and admit that I have not read all the posts but there is something wrong here. ANY bullet fired from that rifle should penetrate a milk jug under these conditions! If the trajectory was there, velocity was not the problem and as Phorwath stated, less velocity is even more apt to penetrate further. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but the most likely possibility in my mind is that you hit the ground first and the bullet had just enough steam left to penetrate the jug, and even that would be a little strange.......Rich
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I'm jumping in here a little late and admit that I have not read all the posts but there is something wrong here. ANY bullet fired from that rifle should penetrate a milk jug under these conditions! If the trajectory was there, velocity was not the problem and as Phorwath stated, less velocity is even more apt to penetrate further. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but the most likely possibility in my mind is that you hit the ground first and the bullet had just enough steam left to penetrate the jug, and even that would be a little strange.......Rich
That certainly would explain a perfectly mushroomed bullet with little or no damage to the milk jug. And no exit from the jug. The bullet used all it had in the dirt/mud in front of it.........?? Probably the best explanation or presumption so far. Otherwise it's just too darn weird.

I am remembering back a little now, and when my buddy shot the jugs at 300 with his 22-250 (50 or 55 bullets don't remember), even they passed completely through the jugs. I specifically remember now, making fun of him digging in the soft dirt bank behind the jugs trying to find them. Lots of damage to the jugs and complete pass throughs. I made some sort of comment about "just like a little kid, gotta go play in the mud", LOL.

Last edited by SBruce; 12-02-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
That certainly might certainly explain a perfectly mushroomed bullet with little or no damage to the milk jug. And no exit from the jug. The bullet used all it had in the dirt/mud in front of it.........?? Probably the best explanation or presumption so far. Otherwise it's just too darn weird.

I am remembering back a little now, and when my buddy shot the jugs at 300 with his 22-250 (50 or 55 bullets don't remember), even they passed completely through the jugs. I specifically remember now, making fun of him digging in the soft dirt bank behind the jugs trying to find them. Lots of damage to the jugs and complete pass throughs. I made some sort of comment about "just like a little kid, gotta go play in the mud".
Ya, I thought about it some more and there is no other plausible answer. A bullet mushroomed to that extent obviously struck something with a lot of force. If it had been the jug, it would not have only passed through, but the jug would have been ripped to shreds.......Rich
The thread is closed