Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The thread is closed

Bullet fail...Accubond CT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet fail...Accubond CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
Wow...very helpful post. Thanks
Both Corelokt and NAB hasn't failed me in your test range.

BTW, you're the one that made the comparison and was just agreeing with you.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Both Corelokt and NAB hasn't failed me in your test range.

BTW, you're the one that made the comparison and was just agreeing with you.

I'm just saying that a premium AccuBond "elk" bullet should have went thru a milk jug at 300 yards. If it won't go thru a single milk jug it would never make it thru an elk and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them until I find out what the problem is with them.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm just saying that a premium AccuBond "elk" bullet should have went thru a milk jug at 300 yards. If it won't go thru a single milk jug it would never make it thru an elk and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them until I find out what the problem is with them.
... and that's exactly why I refer you back to what has worked for you in the past.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

I don't shoot milk jugs anymore cause it's just to hard to get usable info from them, I built a bullet catching rig that I can catch multiple shots with in water with no length issues. I mostly test on deer and elk, it's the only real world data that is of real value and trumps all other testing IMO.
The 140 Accubond from a 270 WSM is proven solid performer in moderate range, I haven't shot them in 2 years because I was looking for a bullet that opened slower but opened aggressively when it starts opening, I don't want a bullet to exit bit it can not open on the surface. The 140/150 Berger or the 165 Matrix give me the performance I want for elk and they extend my range well past what an Accubond will allow, especially the 165 Matrix.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
... and that's exactly why I refer you back to what has worked for you in the past.

Okay...but that still doesn't say why a $55 box of premium ammo performs so poorly...

This ammo has been used to take two deer. One muley in Wyoming from 30 yards, straight on chest shot, didn't even make it to the internals. Next was a Nebraska doe last year, 330ish yard broadside shot behind the shoulder, again no exit and I had to shoot it with my Ackley to bring it down. This is my Dad's rifle (Benelli R1) and we were getting ready to head back to Nebraska when we were shooting jugs. Then when we saw that it didn't even pass thru and didn't even go into the ground we started thinking about the last two deer he shot with it. The gun stayed home and he used my MRI .270 Win with Bergers and Powermax's.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Okay...but that still doesn't say why a $55 box of premium ammo performs so poorly...

This ammo has been used to take two deer. One muley in Wyoming from 30 yards, straight on chest shot, didn't even make it to the internals. Next was a Nebraska doe last year, 330ish yard broadside shot behind the shoulder, again no exit and I had to shoot it with my Ackley to bring it down. This is my Dad's rifle (Benelli R1) and we were getting ready to head back to Nebraska when we were shooting jugs. Then when we saw that it didn't even pass thru and didn't even go into the ground we started thinking about the last two deer he shot with it. The gun stayed home and he used my MRI .270 Win with Bergers and Powermax's.
Perhaps you have a bad load batch. Have you considered addressing the issue with Winchester along with your reports/field experiences?

I use 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs in my. 270 AI.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Perhaps you have a bad load batch. Have you considered addressing the issue with Winchester along with your reports/field experiences?

I use 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs in my. 270 AI.
Yes, I'm going to send them an email once I get video of it.

What twist does your .270 have for the Matrix's?
The thread is closed