Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The thread is closed

Bullet fail...Accubond CT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet fail...Accubond CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Adam.....I went back and read some more of the earlier posts. I make bullets and do a lot of testing so can tell you with assurance that the more velocity you have, the less penetration! This is of course if you are talking about expanding bullets. Even at 300+ yards, you are still around 2900 fps if the mv is 3300' and it doesn't surprise me that much that the bullet may not exit. The 30 yard shot is not at all surprising! A 140 grain bullet traveling at even 500 fps would VERY easily penetrate a milk jug full of water and would likely split the jug as well. This is why the ONLY thing that makes any sense to me is that the bullet was nearly spent when it hit the jug......Rich
Rich, thanks for the replies. I didn't think you were trying to belittle me, I'm at a loss for what happened and am welcoming all scenarios.

The hole wasn't jagged at all, that's whats confusing me.

It looks like there might be a break in weather tomorrow so hopefully we can get out and replicate the shot again on camera...
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
Rich, thanks for the replies. I didn't think you were trying to belittle me, I'm at a loss for what happened and am welcoming all scenarios.

The hole wasn't jagged at all, that's whats confusing me.

It looks like there might be a break in weather tomorrow so hopefully we can get out and replicate the shot again on camera...
I'll be very interested in seeing that........thanks/Rich
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Looks about right to me, I've shot a bunch of those into just about everything including a bunch of elk, deer and antelope with a starting velocity of 3340fps and have never recovered on unless I shoot them into water or dry paper bundles.
Same here, I used that same exact load as the OP to take this bull. Shot into both shoulders, recovered on the hide...

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

The round hole could be explained by the bullet entering the jug backwards. If there is a long enough base shank on the bullet. It is very common for bullets to turn over and continue penetrating backwards. As I remember from the pic it did not have a long shank left on it tho. Was the rifle sighted in with that ammo? Or with ammo that was of a known or spec velocity. ??
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
The round hole could be explained by the bullet entering the jug backwards. If there is a long enough base shank on the bullet. It is very common for bullets to turn over and continue penetrating backwards. As I remember from the pic it did not have a long shank left on it tho. Was the rifle sighted in with that ammo? Or with ammo that was of a known or spec velocity. ??

We shot again tonight, he had 3 left in his mag from that box. Of course we forgot the chrony, but I'm almost positive that they were NOT shooting at max velocity. He has a Leupold VX-2 with the the crosshair then two dots under it (not sure what reticle that is) and he had the hold the bottom dot! I checked it and it was nearly 20" holdover! That's waaaay too much for a .270 WSM sighted in at 200!

The first shot was low and by the third shot he was on and using the bottom dot on the scope. Switched ammo to the different lot number box, and using the same POA he was a foot plus high. Got dialed in and of course blew the jug up like its suppose to.

I believe he has 2 more from that first box, if he finds them then we will chrony those.

It also makes sense if they weren't quite full power because he's always had trouble with his gun (Benelli R1) ejecting them...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Does this not tend to confirm the earlier bullets skipped into the gallon jug after expanding in the dirt? The rifle zero was too low for the bullets to have impacted the jug on a direct path through the air?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
We shot again tonight, he had 3 left in his mag from that box. Of course we forgot the chrony, but I'm almost positive that they were NOT shooting at max velocity. He has a Leupold VX-2 with the the crosshair then two dots under it (not sure what reticle that is) and he had the hold the bottom dot! I checked it and it was nearly 20" holdover! That's waaaay too much for a .270 WSM sighted in at 200!

The first shot was low and by the third shot he was on and using the bottom dot on the scope. Switched ammo to the different lot number box, and using the same POA he was a foot plus high. Got dialed in and of course blew the jug up like its suppose to.

I believe he has 2 more from that first box, if he finds them then we will chrony those.

It also makes sense if they weren't quite full power because he's always had trouble with his gun (Benelli R1) ejecting them...
Adam.....when you chrony those last two, now that you know the trajectory, see if you can hit the jug with at least one.....thanks/Rich
The thread is closed