Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullet choices for 300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet choices for 300 RUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
There must be a principle at work that I'm not aware of.
Yeah, it's not like looking through a little window where the closer you are to the window anything on it gets bigger relative to what you see through it, etc. That wouldn't be very useful. It's a bit more complicated than that optically.

Collimators basically only allow through parallel light rays which is the same effect as looking at an object a very long distance away so a couple inches closer or farther makes no measurable difference. It's also how the image can be in focus and parallax free at such a short range, where any real object would not be through the scope.

Anyway, the end result is that barrel length won't matter--you won't be able to measure any difference in the size of the grid. Of course I fully recommend checking the calibration of your tools so it's certainly a good idea to check a scope you've measured "the old fashioned way" (yardstick at 100 yds or similar) to make sure the collimator's grid can be believed. Everything has manufacturing tolerances so there sure could be a +/- % on it as well. You'll find what that is, if any, by checking it against a known quantity scope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The leupold tool is good but the slightest cant in the tool will lead to down range drifting. That's why I like to confirm with actual shooting.
The tool only has cant if you put it on crooked. You line it up with your reticle when you put it on. Actual shooting at 50 yds (so wind will not have much effect) will work as well but it's not necessary. The tool will easily show if you have so much as a single click's worth of lateral movement for 100, 150, 200, etc, clicks of vertical movement. There's really no more accurate way to do it.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

what happened to the "bullet for 300 rum" thread ?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
what happened to the "bullet for 300 rum" thread ?
I think we hashed that out pretty good

Anything to add?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19elkhunter51 View Post
I have not had the time to do any serious load development for my RUM but I have decided on the bullet manufacturer. Barnes. In the group that I hunt with the Barnes bullet has been an excellant choice. Through and through penetration with large exit wounds. The only animal that we have hunted with the Barnes bullet has been elk. Ranges from 30 yards to 637 yards (ranged). This year we finally recovered a bullet from a poor shot. Less than 100 yards almost at the point of the hip. Lost most of that quarter but the recovered bullet weighed 156 grains of what started as a 168 grain TTSX.

My question is why no one is mentioning the Barnes bullet as an option for loads in this thread. I don't have an axe to grind one way or another but just asking.

In my experience with the Nosler bullets I was never able to get them to shoot accurately in five different 30-06 rifles I was reloading for. At that time I quit trying the Noslers and went back to the Sierra Game King that gave me sub moa groups in all five rifles. One of those rifles was my fathers military surplus Springfield that shot a 3/4" group with an issue two land barrel. The SGKs performed as well as anything we have used to date. I think we have succumbed to the hype about using premium bullets.

I am on a quest to make my RUM shoot itty bitty groups like my 06 did. I will follow this thread to gather any and all opinions, thoughts and recipes.

Thank you to all that post in this thread.
My experience mirrors this as well. We hunt in the "copper only" zone of Central California and are restricted to monolithic bullets. I have been a long time fan of the TSX and now the TTSX and have found them to be very accurate in my various rifles. My only beef is the moderate BC. I have tried to get the E-Tips to shoot but I could not achieve the accuracy I wanted. This was my experience with the Accubonds as well which I desperately wanted to shoot. I have yet to try the the Hornady GMX but hope to do so sometimes soon. I have settled on the 168g TTSX exiting muzzle at 3350 in a 300 RUM. This speed also gives us the advantage of using point blank range calculations and letting me hold on hair out to 400 yards plus a little. We are hunting boar so that helps with these critters which seem to be always on the move...I want to try the GS bullets as well. 30-338
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 12-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Now for my admission of ignorance. I have seen multiple references to "GS" bullets. What are "GS" bullets?

Go ahead, I just don't know what they are.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19elkhunter51 View Post
Now for my admission of ignorance. I have seen multiple references to "GS" bullets. What are "GS" bullets?

Go ahead, I just don't know what they are.
Their home site...

GS Custom Bullets - Designed in South Africa - Proven on the toughest game on the planet.

The HV hunting Line...

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - HV Bullets

The GS HV 177...

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

A pic of it in this thread....

GS bullet antelope hunting.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Hi, the 180 e-tip behind H-1000 and the 210 berger RL25 worked best in my sendero,also the 240smk@3000fps(if you can get that velocity)will go side by side with the 300gr 338's to 1500 yards according to the sierra-v6 software.Im having a ruger no 1 built in 300 rum as we speak,just something a little different.