Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullet choices for 300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bullet choices for 300 RUM

Thanks guys, so far some good info. Mark, I've read some of your other posts about the E-TIps and G7's. I did find a link to the G-7's and they have some great numbers but the price is pretty substantial, I'll have to wait a while until I give them a try. The E-Tips may hold some promise though, and it looks like they have a decent BC, much better than the Barnes offerings from what I can tell. It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers they would have in a 200 grain pill. I'll follow more of your posts to see how they perform on game for you.

LTLR, I see you've tried most of what would be considered the top offerings with pretty much the same results I have been reading about. What do you guys think though of the heavier SMK's. I know they're not advertised as a hunting bullet but get quite a bit of use in the 338's. Do you guys think there is a comparatable bullet in the 30 cal offering that has the potential to give those types of results?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

I have used the 300 SMK in my 338-378 since there inception when Sierra graciously sent me some for testing. I have had good results with those. I think because it is so fat, long and heavy it just blows through stuff. It is the most accurate big game bullet for western hunting across windy canyons and the 338-378 gets the velocity up there over 3000 fps to buck that wind. That is why that is my go to rifle when I am dead serious. When people see me with that set up they pretty much know I am onto a pretty good animal. I have hunted with guys using the 240 SMK out of the big 30's and seen similar results but have not used them myself on game, only on targets. I know others use the lighter SMK's and some smaller caliber ones but I think that would be setting up for disaster on large big game with high velocity magnums. Bottom line though I have seen everything but the monometal quality big game bullets disentigrate in big game animals through the years. So to be 100% sure that is the only way to go. I have had the good fortune to see a lot of stuff shot through the years with guiding and such which gives me quite a bit of data to form an opinion. I started shooting the Etips when they came out because of the greater BC in a monometal bullet. The GS will beat them but look at the price. I am shooting a .469 BC 150 grain Etip in my 300 wsm at 3400 fps. Run the numbers on that and they look pretty good for what I consider a 600 yard rifle that is light and very accurate. I wouldn't shoot beyond 600 with the light 150 but they look mighty good out to there.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
I have used the 300 SMK in my 338-378 since there inception when Sierra graciously sent me some for testing. I have had good results with those. I think because it is so fat, long and heavy it just blows through stuff.

At what ranges are the 300 SMK's just blowing through stuff? The phrase " just blows though stuff" does that mean the bullet exits?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman View Post
Mark, I've read some of your other posts about the E-TIps and G7's. I did find a link to the G-7's and they have some great numbers but the price is pretty substantial, I'll have to wait a while until I give them a try. The E-Tips may hold some promise though, and it looks like they have a decent BC, much better than the Barnes offerings from what I can tell. It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers they would have in a 200 grain pill. I'll follow more of your posts to see how they perform on game for you.
I like the E-Tips and I used to think highly of the TSX's (other than BC) but have been reading a lot of reports of non-expansion pass throughs with those lately. The GMX looks good in some cals, but so far it looks like the heaviest available in the 308 cal is 165.

I talked with Nosler about a year ago, and the 180 E-Tip was as heavy as they planned to make due to stability issues because of the length of bullet needed for a monmetal. Barnes has a 200 gr, but their BC isn't great and the 180 E-Tip leaves way behind. I also like the expansion characteristics of the E-Tip. They have broad jagged petals that open up to form a very square/flat frontal area which causes a great deal of damage.

The GS's are the way to go though. Nothing touches them in any category. Once I have a load worked up for them, I wont be shooting them a whole lot other than for an occasional drop and zero check. I could work up another plinkiing round and spend a lot more time with my 300 WSM and 25-06
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The GS's are the way to go though. Nothing touches them in any category.
Oh goodness. This all based upon Gerard's advertised BC of that bullet? You're going to get 400 yards more "effective range" with it than you will a 210 Berger? Good luck with that.

Montana, I luv ya man, but the phrase "hook, line and sinker" comes to mind. When you actually try the things at 1500, let us know how far off the drop charts were.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Oh goodness. This all based upon Gerard's advertised BC of that bullet? You're going to get 400 yards more "effective range" with it than you will a 210 Berger? Good luck with that.

Montana, I luv ya man, but the phrase "hook, line and sinker" comes to mind. When you actually try the things at 1500, let us know how far off the drop charts were.
FWIW,

The advertised bc' for the current GS bullets that I have run out have been true. I shot the 177g 308's out to 1000yrds. And the 110g .264's out to 600yrds. I know that it is not 1500yrds. When I ran the older version of the bullet, it did not come close to the advertised bc's.

Steve
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Gold Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have to say 168 BERGER VLD, H-1000 and Fed 215's. Load to max mag length and let the fun begin !